Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge No.8200

Trebrys

Noswaith dda / Good evening,

A pupil in our school has brought in a SWB medal that has been passed down through the generations of his family but he has no idea at all whose it is by now! The number on the reverse states figures 8200. Is it at all possible to find out whose it was:?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Trebrys.

Wow!!!! I'm flabbergasted!!!

Many many thanks! Who was he, I wonder?? All of these revelations are stopping me from going to bed...but who cares...her upstairs is probably relieved as my snoring won't keep her awake!!!

Thanks again!

Hi

He was with the Essex Regiment, no other medal card, so did not serve overseas. At a quick look I cant see any service records either.

regards

Robert

The National Archives show two references to this lad one noted "13 Battalion Essex Regt" the other does not, and I think this is the one on Ancestry, also the SWB card has "ditto" marks under the word YES for having served overseas. Ralph.

Thank you both for your help. I'll have to chase after the pupil at work who brought it in to see how he acquired it exactly! I'll look into the NA entry...thanks, Ralph (again)! And thanks also to Robert for your interest!

His second mic to 17456 Pte A Fraser shows that he landed in France with the 13th ( Service ) Battalion ( West Ham ) The Essex Regiment on 17th November 1915, WW1 entitlement 14/15 Star, War & Victory Medals plus Silver War Badge 82000.

Steve

However, The thick plotens. If the badge is number 8200 as per the title of this topic and not 82000 as per post 1 then the recipient is :-

2387 Pte Henry Stills 2/5th Lincolnshire Regiment, Enlisted 29/08/1914 and discharged 25/03/1916 due to sickness having served overseas.

His medals are listed under the name Harry Sells and gives a date for landing in France of 01/03/1915 which probably means that he originally served with 1/5th Lincolns.

Steve

Oooer! It thickens indeed!!!

I'm sure it said 8200...but I'll check up on it on Monday when our half-term holiday ends here in Wales!!!

Thanks very much for this, Steve!!

Oooer!

And I thought the title 8200 and the content 82000 was an error in typing, how can nothing (o) cause so much confusion :blink: Oooer indeed. Ralph.

The number is in fact 8200 - sorry about the confusion I caused via my typing - I have since corrected the error from the initial post. Henry Stills it is!

I am going to chase after the pupil who's brought it in now! And I am going to stand in the corner of shame!

The number is in fact 8200 - sorry about the confusion I caused via my typing - I have since corrected the error from the initial post. Henry Stills it is!

I am going to chase after the pupil who's brought it in now! And I am going to stand in the corner of shame!

And so you should :angry2: