Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC WW1 at Home local radio programmes

Kate Wills

The BBC has found a happy hunting ground here and among the WFA for its World War One at Home project.

Here's the link to the preview piece about Julius Gottschalk, the German manager of Northampton Tramways, a man I've been studying for some years as part of my Northampton, Summer 1914 talk:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01sdt3b

Guest warwriter01

Our coverage heavier than a creeping barrage. Here are links to two more stories,

One about the most scandalous prison camp in the country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25154771

and another about the exploitation (discuss...) of civilian deaths by the British authorities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25244361

Thanks again to all contributors

It is a shame BBC Radio Humberside has yet to include anything from North Lincolnshire, I can think of two major talking points (the steelworks and RNAS Killingholme) that have no mention. I assume they will still update?

It is a shame BBC Radio Humberside has yet to include anything from North Lincolnshire, I can think of two major talking points (the steelworks and RNAS Killingholme) that have no mention. I assume they will still update?

I assume that all depends on what they recorded. In this, I assume they've been dependent on contacts with the area's "war anoraks". That's certainly how Radio Manchester approached the project and, from threads started here by other local radio representatives , that that's the route they've gone down.

Here's the Radio Manchester ones so far. I understand they may have a dozen in total so some way to go - I presume they may be staggering them deliberately. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01p34k8

• 3 months later...

Gareth's one is the Chitterne man who died on the Indefatigible at Jutland (since he's been to modest to specify!)
Very interesting Gareth, thanks for mentioning it. And the others look good too, I listened to the training on the plain one as well.

Btw Anthony Eden's 16-year-old brother, a midshipman, died on the Indefatigible too, I recall. (About all I knew about the Battle of Jutland.)

Liz

Thank you Liz.

I suspect I might appear in one, too, on behalf of my employers.

Welcome to the (very elite) club :thumbsup:.

If you and I are members we may need to discuss the definition of "elite".

I think Moonraker will be there too.

I did one for BBC Radio Stoke, though haven't had sight nor sound since it was recorded, so I might be reclining on the cutting-room floor.

Sue

They are drip feeding them Sue so you may yet be resurrected.

Maybe some of them will be held back until the centenary actually starts - that would be novel ...

I had an e mail from BBC last week informing me that "round 2" of WW1 at Home started last Saturday. The programme that I contributed to, The Workers who were Sent to Coventry, will be broadcast tomorrow on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire radio. It may well be then that Sue's contribution to the Stoke programme has survived intact, and will be broadcast in this, or a later round.

Sounds a bit like a boxing match.

TR

'Your Country Needs You'

Radio Northampton has aired an item about the Northampton born graphic designer Alfred Leete who drew the image used in the mythical poster. This included a contribution from James Taylor who has written the 'book of the poster', who mentioned the fact that Kitchener was very much 'boss eyed' in real life.

Mike.

If you and I are members we may need to discuss the definition of "elite".

Hmmm ... elite maybe. Exclusive, though?

I suspect I might appear in one, too, on behalf of my employers.

Steven, you could be heard in a short feature on the BBC Surrey Breakfast show this morning (4th June) Click (run forward to approx. 2:26:00) & there is a longer feature on the same topic on the combined BBC Surrey & Sussex programme at 10:40 this morning (Click to listen live), sorry about the short notice!; I suspect that this may be same piece that's already available on iPlayer: Outwood, Surrey: Indian Elephants At War

Were you actually interviewed by the 'Bionic Vet', Noel Fitzpatrick, or have your bits been edited into his narration?

Other BBC Surrey & Sussex 'WW1 at Home' can be found Here

NigelS

Edit: Having listened, the 'Outwood, Surrey: Indian Elephants At War' link, given above, is the same as broadcast in this morning's programme

Edited by NigelS