Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

shell calibres - identity please

Hello

I snapped this ensemble at New Irish Farm a year ago. I have been out and about for over 15 years and never a shell as large as the one on the right and wondered if someone can tell me what it is. I assume it weighs close to 200lb? I am no expert.

Thanks in advance

Mark

post-20647-0-05915100-1393185360_thumb.j

24463988 ! and I thought my 24606504 was showing my age, (Light Infantry)!

Doug.

Difficult to make a sensible comment without some to of scale to help judge dimensions. Assuming they are WW1 then the shell body walls will be quite thick. I've no idea of weight, which can be a clue (calibre is best) but the largest is proportionally all wrong to be 8 inch. Large calibre shells were mostly quite stumpy in WW1 due to the thick walls.

8"/c20cm shells weighed 200 to 260-odd pounds, 6"/c15cm 90 - 110 pounds.

That large shell has a very long body. If the smaller ones are around 3-inch field artillery shells, the bigger one'll be about 6".

Difficult to guess any more without other evidence.

Regards,

MikB

I was only going on a rule of thumb on the basis that the two on the left appeared to be 18 pounder shells of the common sort found all over the battlefields. I was just trying to get a proportion on it. I don't recognise the large shell type at all. It doesn't appear to be a howitzer shell from examples I've seen.

Thanks

Mark

24463988 ! and I thought my 24606504 was showing my age, (Light Infantry)!

Doug.

Once saw a group of your guys fire their officers Jack Russel out of some large gun because it had peed on their sleeping bags!

My how we chortled.

Doug.