Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandads service in India 1920-21

david west

Not exactly a Great War question but i was wondering why my Grandfather recieved no medal for his service in India from 24th March 1920 to 22nd May 1921. Grandad was serving with the Machine Gun Corps at the time, possibly 8th Btn ( he was also in Russia from 16th August 1919 to 3rd October 1919 with the MGC). I remember vaguely, my father talking about the North West Frontier...Waziristan ? Funny that he never recieved a medal for these 2 conflicts !? What do the experts think ?

Hi,

I'm no expert but ...

Not all British soldiers in "India" - modern day I would include India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and I think Burma & Sri Lanka were involved in the NWF conflict - many were in garrisons. My own grandfather was in an Artillery Brigade garrisoned in Central India for most of 1920.

Did your father say his Dad was a participant in the conflict?

If he did you could post his name etc and ask a forum member to look up the medal roll.

Steve Y

There was a specific date and geographic requirement for a clasp for the India General Service Medal

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/india_general_service_1908_award.htm. North East Medals Guide

WAZIRISTAN 1919-21

All officers and men of the Waziristan Force who took part in the operations on the Bannu Line between 1st October, 1919 and 27th November, 1919, both dates inclusive, and the Tank Line between 1st October, 1919 and 20th December, 1921, both dates inclusive, or who served west of Kharkon Algad, between 27th November, 1921 and 16th December, 1921, both dates inclusive; and to troops which occupied the lower Zhob Posts (Brunj Safi, Mir Ali Khel, and Mogul Kot), between 12th November, 1920 and 31st May, 1921, both dates inclusive.

The boundary between the Bannu and Tank lines was:—

Administrative boundary between North and South Waziristan — southern boundary of Bannu Civil District — Indus Mianwali, Mari-Indus, and Kalabagh were included in both lines. Darya Khan was included in Tank line.

Cheers

Maureen

I can find no reference in Gordons to the 8th Company serving in an any conflict zone against any of the tribes that would entitle your relative to a bar for the IGS.

I would be happy to double check the rolls of the MGC for you if you wish.

Thanks to all for your input. Grandads name was Ernest Albert West DCM (awarded in June 1918) when he served with the Devonshire Regt his service no was 9067, after his transfer to the MGC in 1916 his service no became 17551. When he was re-numbered (dont know when that happened) his new no was 7807980, i believe he was a CSM in Russia & India. He served from 7th March 1910 - 28th Feb 1931. Am looking forward to what you can find out about him. Thanks.

Thanks to all for your input. Grandads name was Ernest Albert West DCM (awarded in June 1918) when he served with the Devonshire Regt his service no was 9067, after his transfer to the MGC in 1916 his service no became 17551. When he was re-numbered (dont know when that happened) his new no was 7807980, i believe he was a CSM in Russia & India. He served from 7th March 1910 - 28th Feb 1931. Am looking forward to what you can find out about him. Thanks.

I'm afraid I have had no luck. The only one I could find is 94587 Albert Ernest West MGC.

Normally there is an indication on the Medal index card if the recipient it entitled to the IGS.......IGS is usually printed on the card for those 1919 and 1920's campaign awards.

• Admin

The seven digit number is a 1920 Regular Army number allocated to the MGC pursuant to Army Order 338 when the old system of Regimental Numbers was abandoned and a new numbering system adopted.

Most of the men who were in the MGC whose records I've seen who went to Russia (admittedly only a few records) were discharged from their war service commitment and immediately re-enlisted as regulars he would probably have kept the 5 digit number (or been given a new one) until the new system was introduced. [see edit]

As he served beyond 1920 his service record will be at the MOD (Veterans Agency) http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

£30 and I believe a fairly long wait!

Ken

Edit Having now looked at his mic it appears he was either [a] a serving Regular soldier in 1914, or a reservist.

Paul Nixon's indispensable guide shows 9005 enlisted in 24 July 1910 and 9218 January 1911

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/devonshire-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html so (my) rough guess 9067 enlisted August/September 1910 and when war was declared was serving with the 2nd Bn in Egypt. Normal service was 5 years with the colours seven on the reserve so he would be well in the frame for continuous service into the war. His mic shows landed in France on 6 November 1914 the same date as the 2nd Bn as corroborated by his citation for the DCM. His mic shows he was a WO2.

There was no separate campaign medal for service in Russia (the qualifying period for the 'war medals' was extended for this campaign and he already had those along with the 1914 Star).

Thanks for your help guys, i'll keep digging.

Ex pat do you have a copy of the medal index card already?

Also, I would happy to let you know the exact day of which the DCM was won, assuming it is not included in the citation. Let me know if you need that.