Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Long (long) shot on a missing 14/15 Star, VM, BWM

Chipper

This post will probably only relate to Australian members.

Firstly, I realise this is a million to 1 shot, but if you don't ask....

I have a very dear friend who's Grandfather was RFA in WW1. In the 1980's his medals - 14/15 star, VM BWM were stolen in Australia (the family had emigrated). They tried to get replacements but missed the MOD cut-off.

My request is this: if any member happens to come across them - as unlikely as that is - please let me know. The soldier had a pretty standard record, not wounded, no gallantry medals, so they are unremarkable in that respect. Of course, they mean a great deal to the family and they would be willing to pay market price to get them back.

The soldier was:

Thomas A. Cushway (born Hackney in 1896)

Service number 52414

I have attached his Medal Card for ref.

Many Thanks, Tim

post-102868-0-72031000-1393099722_thumb.

It might be worth putting a request for information on the British Medals Forum, they are very knowledgable chaps and their collecting tentacles stretch very far indeed. If they are for sale somewhere or have been sold recently they are sure to know.

All the best, Don

Hi Yellow,

I specifically stated in my post that the family is willing to pay market price to get these medals back. At no stage was there any inference that they are seeking to profit, or deny profit, from this situation.

Note from my post: "Of course, they mean a great deal to the family and they would be willing to pay market price to get them back."

As this happened so long ago, it would be illogical to think the medals would be in any hands other than someone who has legitimately purchased them along the way, hence the clear offer to pay market price for them (or replacement cost for a similar group). The family simply wants them back, they are not interested in how or why a current owner has them. I thought that was clear in my post, sorry if it was not.

many thanks, Tim

ps, I do take offence, given you didn't actually read my post, that you think this is a dishonest attempt to obtain medals without paying.

I am somewhat bewildered by this. There is no part of my post that either specifically nor implicitly suggests the current owners, whoever they are, will be subject to anything other than the grateful appreciation of a family reunited with their granddads medals. Hence the CLEAR offer to pay for them. Which bit of this aren't you getting?

Your Post:

in future I think if you want to have success in the recovery of these medals, of which I am sure you have proof (sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, by-the-way)...................you could offer a cash amount for their return.

My Post

and they would be willing to pay market price to get them back.

Maybe next time you make a mistake, just a simple, "OK, I see you have done this in the manner I suggested, sorry."

and I would reply: "no problem at all. I actually agree with your general line of thought."

Always read a post carefully. (I apologise in advance. I actually like a bit of sarcasm).

Best Regards, Tim

Tim,

If the use of the word is allowed to persist with out any law enforcement contact details or proof, I shall be resigning from this forum.

Best of luck with your search.