Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Four KRRC Riflemen

rap1943

Hi Mark

Thanks for looking out for my men.

As I type, at 8.45 am, it is raining and has been most of the night on and off. However it is not enough as our dams are still only just under 30% full.

Cheers

Bob

Ha! That rain dance obviously is working then!

Had a skim through the book last night having carefully transcribed all the names onto a bookmark.

There are almost no surnames mentioned <_< Instead the author uses terms like "Thomas Atkins", the "Old Campaigner", "Questioning Man" etc. to represent little vignettes of life in the battalion.

Since he published in 1917, I guess Rev Duncan felt he could not use real names for the sake of the families etc.

It's certainly not nearly as vivid as Somme Harvest (about 2/KRRC), but I'll tell you all more when I've actually read it!

Keep well!

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At last have got to this.

Frank Whitehead, C/527, dow 16/7/16, High Wood.

St Clements CLB, Rochdale.

Individual picture plus group photo.

Believe he is back row, third from left.

These are Wm Kay's photos, pictured back row, 2nd from left,

also from St Clements.

post-7658-1218486651.jpg

post-7658-1218487002.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And another Kay photograph, members of B Company.

Rochdale Church Lads Brigade Bn was 7th Bn, Manchester Diocesan Regt.

Prior to 1914 it had 23 companies in Heywood, Shaw, Castleton, Littleborough, Milnrow, Stalybridge, etc

Formed in 1906 and recognised under Cadet Regs. in 1912.

St Clements Coy. formed in June 1900, Coy No 1695, met in Meanwood School.

post-7658-1218486844.jpg

Hi Conijoni

Thanks for posting the photos, must say I'm struggling to find my Dad, but I'll keep looking.

Any idea which band?

Bob

Fantastic stuff conijoni - many thanks!

Sorry to say no progress to report from me on the Duncan CLB book yet ... ashamed to say I've been tempted off into Graves' Goodbye To All That. :rolleyes: Just read the Battle of Loos section. Also some good description of the Laventie sector, which are probably the trenches where my GF was first blooded with 12/KRRC in 1915 well before he was transferred into 16/KRRC.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest janetg48

I see mention of Bugler Richard Coote Southwell, C/678 of Pontefract. Richard was the first cousin of my mother who is still alive. She obviously did not know Richard as he was killed in action before she was born, but she was close to his father, her Uncle Dick, and the rest of the family. She would love to see the photograph of the buglers, and if Richard could be identified within the photo then so much the better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rosalind1

I see mention of Bugler Richard Coote Southwell, C/678 of Pontefract. Richard was the first cousin of my mother who is still alive. She obviously did not know Richard as he was killed in action before she was born, but she was close to his father, her Uncle Dick, and the rest of the family. She would love to see the photograph of the buglers, and if Richard could be identified within the photo then so much the better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hallo

Richard Coote Southwell was my uncle. My mother was his youngest sister Mary whom sadly died in 1966. What is your mothers name as if she was so close to my grandfather and the rest of the siblings it goes without saying I should know her or at least know of her?

I am also trying to find more information about my other uncle Cyril Southwell who i believe returned from the great War and died a couple of years later in Pontefract

Any help here would also be gratefully accepted

Regards Rosalind Priest

• 2 weeks later...
Guest janetg48

Dear Rosalind,

I'm so sorry to have taken a long time to reply. I have only just seen your post.

Uncle Dick was the older brother of my grandmother, Isabella Anne who was born in 1883 at the Barracks in Pontefract. He was the 4th child of the family, - several died young, - and Grandma was the 7th of the 8 children. Isabella had 13 children of whom 12 grew to adults, and my mother Margaret was the 12th of the 13.

When we found out about Richard Coote Southwell my husband and I went to France to visit his memorial in Loos-en-Gohelle and I have photos that you may like. Also I have information about Cyril and I visited his grave when I was on a trip to Pontefract.

My Mum is now nearly 87 and remembers Uncle Dick clearly, also Lassie, but although she knew of your mother, Mum didn't come into contact much with her. She was more contemporary with Jean Evans.

I also have photos of Southwell's Shaving Salon, still in existence after about 140 years. This was set up by my great-grandfather Samuel Southwell, and I have traced the history of his first wife and family.

I have written a small book for my mother about her ancestors. You might like a copy of it, although it is slanted somewhat towards my Grandad Joe Rhodes.

Anyway, I could go on at length and don't want to fill the forum up with digressions, so if you would like to write to me at my junk account, - gimberthings at blueyonder dot co dot uk, - I will reply with my proper email address and will let you know what information I have.

I am sorry not to have had information about the photos we wanted to see, but how lovely to hear from you. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Good wishes.

Janet

Hallo

Richard Coote Southwell was my uncle. My mother was his youngest sister Mary whom sadly died in 1966. What is your mothers name as if she was so close to my grandfather and the rest of the siblings it goes without saying I should know her or at least know of her?

I am also trying to find more information about my other uncle Cyril Southwell who i believe returned from the great War and died a couple of years later in Pontefract

Any help here would also be gratefully accepted

Regards Rosalind Priest

• 2 months later...
Guest Mike Harper

Hi,

I'm not sure if this forum is still live, or is even the correct one, but I'm trying to find out details of a Albert Clarence BEDSON of 16 bn KRRC who died on 20 May 1917 in the flanking attack on Hindenberg line. I would really like to know when he joined up so I can trace his path through the war intil he was killed. Is it possible to tell when someone joined up by use of their service number?

Mike Harper

Also, you can download the CLB in France book for free and read it online

Mike

Hi Mike

Not sure if you have this info yet (see below), and think it might be best to start a new post for your question as you'll probably get more views.

Name: BEDSON, Albert C

Unit:King's Royal Rifle Corps

Number:C/1239

Year: 1917

Volume : I79

Page: 34

Record source: GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)

Also from SDGW

Name: Albert Clarence Bedson Birth Place: Lambeth, Surrey Residence: Brixton, Surrey Death Date: 20 May 1917 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Cockspur St., Middx. Rank: Rifleman Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps Battalion: 16th Battalion Number: C/1239 Type of Casualty: Died of wounds Theatre of War:

Western European Theatre

Also if you look at Andy's post on page 1 you'll see that he was an original member, and that although there were initial recruiting problems the Bn was at full establishment by the end of 1914, making your man a 1914 enlister.

Have you the Bn War Diary? As he died of wounds the action he was hit in may have been days before. For example I am researching two men who DOW five days and one month after being hit.

All the best with your research

Jim

Sadly his Service Record did not survive, and his MIC does not state when he entered the Western Front

All the best

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mike Harper

Thanks Jim this is really interesting. I guess he must have joined when the 16 Bn was formed in 1915 - I have his date of birth as March 1898. I do have a copy of the War diary so I guess I'll have to start ploughing through it. As he died on 20 May I assumed it was in the flanking action on the Hindenberg line but you are right, it may have beenm earlier.

Sorry Mike

Not a CLB expert thought they were formed in 1914, but he was an original member when formed. The WD will almost definitely not mention him by name (standard occurance in most WD, only officers getting mentioned, ORs only for specific events/actions etc), but you may be lucky. Have you checked the CWGC site? Has his relative listed in Brixton. Mrs Emma Bedson, his mother of 308 Coldharbour Lane.

CWGC site also shows that 61 KRRC were killed on 20 May 1917 but not all are 16th Bn. They also show that no 16th Bn men were killed in the previous 3 days. It is wrong to assume anything but I reckon you could narrow his wounding and death to the 20th (ie he died in the CSS, or down the medical chain). But do check for reports of wounded men in the WD prior to the 20th too, just to cover yourself.

Best of luck

Jim

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody

I wonder if anybody has or is researching any of the following men.

To my knowledge they all served in the 16Btn KRRC.

Henry Mallalieu (Harry Mallalien on MIC) C/515

Wilson Clegg C/549 (also MGC 26003)

Fred (Frederick) Fitton C/712

Ernest George Smith C/393 (died 28/1/1916)

Cheers

Bob Pearson

Bob,

Ten years on and some good detail has emerged on the death of Ernest Smith on 28 Jan 1916 under artillery bombardment in the front line trenches in front of MADAGASCAR approx 2km ESE of CAMBRIN in the LOOS sector.

See

16th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps

Old Boots Trench near Cuinchy trench Map

Hope you're well!

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi Mark,

I know this post is quite old now, but i was wondering whether you found any information on Albert Clarence Benson C1239. I am an officer from the Church Lads and Girls Brigade and next year (2016) we are planning on taking our members to France in Highwood to pay tribute to those fallen in the great battle. I am putting together information about ex CLB members,

We know what most service men with a C Prefix number who were enlisted into the 16th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps were most likely to be ex CLB members. Do you now is Albert Benson was a former Church Lads Brigade member?.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Karen Cory