Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forfeited Medals Due To Suicide

Ron da Valli

During my research I came across this MIC to a different J Jones to the one I wanted:

30850 A000867 00604

I don't know any further details about his death, if it occurred whilst on active service, or after the war. Does anyone know if this was standard practice and are there anymore instances.

Thanks in advance

Darryl

Thanks for that Craig, I wasn't aware of that, seems likely then that this is what happened. I wonder if other criminal activities ended up with the same result.

In researching 8792 BSM George Albert Colclough Murray 293 siege battery RGA - MIC missing - I note correspondence following his suicide in 1920, from family determined to get his property and mdals. I wonder if they too would hv been forfiet?

Sean

There are two MICs for 8792 Murray, one card for his MID and another for his two medals. It looks as though they sent them as there is nothing on the MIC suggesting they didn't. Just search by number and Murray.

What I found even sadder was he shot himself after shooting his wife.

Kevin

Men convicted of crimes could forfeit. Attempted suicide was a crime but I strongly suspect that there is no instance of any one being charged, tried and convicted for the crime of suicide, As it is a standard principle of British justice that one is innocent until found guilty then this forfeit does seem very inconsistent but then no one ever said that the British medal system had to be consistent!

Sean

There are two MICs for 8792 Murray, one card for his MID and another for his two medals. It looks as though they sent them as there is nothing on the MIC suggesting they didn't. Just search by number and Murray.

What I found even sadder was he shot himself after shooting his wife.

Kevin

I have the inquest report if you want a transcript via an Australian newspaper , therein lies a murky tale.

I looked for that MIC and couldn't see it

I have been and still am researching a man that committed suicide at the front. He has no MIC, no medal roll entry and no died in the Great War entry. He has a service record and a grave. The board of enquiry papers were 'weeded' from his records in the 1950s.

I think in some cases a verdict of suicide caused by temporary insanity was recorded and in these cases, the medals stood.

I have the medals to two Royal Artillery officers who committed suicide in France during the Great War and their medals were not forfeited. One shot himself with a pistol was hospitalized and the other shot himself with a pistol outside of the officers' mess.

I have a MM to coldstreamer who killed hinmself. The trio was sent to and signed for by the NOK

Thanks for all the replies, it's certainly an interesting " angle" on awarding and forfeiting medals, I bet there are plenty more stories out there.

Hi,

He would forfeit under Section 18 of the Army Act, if not re-instated, then the coroner did not find any evidence to say his mind was disturbed.

Regards Charles

Fascinating thread. This afternoon I was reading information on a suicide committed as a POW. his widow was awarded a half pension as he did not DoW nor was he KiA.