Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Colonel Louis Arbon Strange - DSO OBE MC DFC & Bar

Kitchener's Bugle

Last week I was in the Dorchester which is the home of the Devon & Dorset Keep Museum.

One outstanding medal collection that stood out was that to Lt Colonel Louis Arbon Strange - DSO OBE MC DFC & Bar, US Bronze Star. This surely must be a unique combination?

Please forgive the quality of my photograph but you know what it is like with the lighting and reflections off of the glass.

post-91995-0-49757800-1393022606_thumb.j

STRANGE’s book ‘Recollections of an Airman’ published in 1933 is well worth reading – see photo of him.

post-48147-0-62614800-1393023895_thumb.j

Philip

Is the medal group his actual group, or a representitive group? I ask as the display group is missing the MID emblem on the VM he's clearly wearing in the portrait shot.

Andrew, I believe that it is the original group. It had a prominent location within the medal room. KB

Andrew, I believe that it is the original group. It had a prominent location within the medal room. KB

Unfortunately prominence doesn't always equal originality. It's often cheaper insurance-wise for museums to have copies of particularly valuable groups on display and keep the originals tucked away safely in the bank or vault, and in those cases they're not always very forward in letting you know that the original receipient never saw or touched what you're looking at...

The reason why I suspect they are the real thing is that the 4 VC Groups on display where "the real thing" according to the Curator - I asked!. He might be fibbing but then again some of the other exceptional groups where definately the real thing, I had a good look at them close-up....having handled some of these orders in the past myself I was certain they where indeed genuine. Very difficult to "fake" those foreign Orders!.

From the same Museum....

post-91995-0-83198300-1393123241_thumb.j

If so then WW1 Victory medal is missing MID Emblem.

Philip

Looks like it, it may have been lost? But then again they are easy to replicate and can be obtained freely for a couple of pounds, so if you were faking things then why not do this?. With of this said though I visited this museum, I am not the curator, "friend of" etc ... I just thought that I would take the opportunity to share what is a remarkable medal group to a remarkable man.

If so then WW1 Victory medal is missing MID Emblem.

As I said in post 4, and prompted the subsequent train of posts :thumbsup:

I visited the museum about 20 years ago on a diffrent quest ,and noticed the group it was on the top floor not in a prominent postion almost tucked away, i mentioned this to the lad who was in charge that day and said wow you have Stranges medal group,fantastic, he replied who? and where? incedently i was there to check over the 'Hitler' desk or not as it was .

The reason why I suspect they are the real thing is that the 4 VC Groups on display where "the real thing" according to the Curator - I asked!. He might be fibbing but then again some of the other exceptional groups where definately the real thing, I had a good look at them close-up....having handled some of these orders in the past myself I was certain they where indeed genuine. Very difficult to "fake" those foreign Orders!.

From the same Museum....

I know the (new) curator, he ain't a fibber (nor was his predecessor).

Does anyone else find the presentation of these groups with new synthetic ribbons awful?..... Military museums the world over seem to think they have to strip these fascinating groups of their old silk ribbons and mount them totally artificially with modern synthetic ribbons...