Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Modern date stamp on medal card

dravin

I wondered if anyone knew why there might be a modern period date stamp on a medal card

Its a fairly standard card for Frederick G HEBBORN

RAVC SE/4040 & RFA Gr 156122

Victory & British war medals and the 1915 star

To the right of the Vic & British WM are pencilled dates 17/10/21 and by the 15 Star 22/2/21

I interpret those as issued dates, would that be correct?

But the one I am unsure of is as follows

On the right is a date stamp in red 14 JAN 1986

I feel sure I have seen this stamp on other cards but do not know the significance of it

Anyone know please ?

I agree that the two more relevant dates are 1921

I'm afraid I can't offer a reason for the 1986 stamp, unless some query had been raised with MOD, that caused the card to be examined.

Keith

The 1986 date probably relates to an enquiry being made for some reason. I enquired about my Great Gt Uncle's war service during the mid 80's and his medal issue card is dated with the same date as the letter received in reply.

Sepoy

Whilst researching names on Colwyn Bay War Memorial I found a similar date on the right hand edge dated 1973. I'll post it on here as and when I can find it again.

Thanks for the replies so far, I feel sure I have seen that same date on other cards but of course now can't find one

I only wish I could find another with a date stamp on it, if its the same date it suggests something other than an enquiry but that seems to be the most likely reason for it

Its not world shattering but all is of interest I find

Hi,

Sepoy is exactly correct all mine and my wife's family cards have the dates I made enquiries about them.

regards

John

Thank you John, Sepoy and all

That seems to seal that then

Its a pity they did not note the who, what why when isn't it , but at least it answers that

Much appreciated

Still with the MOD. I dont think they were transferred to the National Archives until the early 1990's.

When they were originally transferred to the NA you had to request a microfiche from a lovely lady, whose alphabet was not strong, one sheet at a time. If there was a queue, or an error, it took for ever. I cant tell you how happy I was when members of public were trusted to select the microfiche sheets themselves. It is almost too easy now.....

Sepoy

Thanks Sepoy

I could not remember when they got to the NA

I didn't think the NA staff would use a dirty great red stamp on a record, but the MOD do like a nice stamp here and there don't they

Appreciate the help

I found the MIC I mentioned:

30850 A000790 02666

The date is 1979 not 1973 as I thought. As everybody says, it could be the date of an enquiry, but why not add a separate note rather than stamp the cards.