Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Binjaw

Rockdoc

I'm doing some work on post-WW2 issues of The Mosquito for the Salonika Campaign Society and have come across an excellent article in Issue 84 (December 1948) about the social and natural history of Macedonia. When describing the agriculture, Dr. Hugh A. Fawcett writes:

"From an agricultural aspect it is a pity that the mountainous regions, often so barren, exceed the area of fertile, alluvial plain. Vegetables, such as pumpkin, binjaw, onion, capsicum, tomato; fruit of a small nature such as figs, apricot, grapes, pomegranate and the larger melon grow in abundance. There is, in fact, a considerable industry in dried fruit and currants. Wheat does not do well and maize forms the staple diet. Tobacco, however, is the most lucrative and important crop - Macedonian leaf, especially that from Drama and Xanthi being the finest in the world. The opium poppy is also cultivated on a large scale. Both olive and mulberry trees abound, the latter in connection with an extensive silk industry, and among other less important products, one must include cotton and pharmaceutical plants."

I have no idea what binjaw is and neither do the on-line search engines. Any Pal have an idea?

Keith

maybe A tree of binjai. Family: Anaradiaceae. Synonyms: Mangifera verticillata. Other names: Belunu, malaysian mango. Binjai is a fruit of South East Asia

It's certainly a possibility but I can't find anything about its hardiness. Although it can be very hot in summer, Balkan winters can be vicious so a tropical tree might not survive unless cultivated in sheltered spots.

Keith

would apricots grow there ?

I don't know about apricots, Coldstreamer, but they do grow almonds, which I think is the same family.

I think you may very well have it, arboskittler. Aubergine is well-known in Greek cookery after all.

Keith