Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paid Medal Researchers - Who are they?

yellow

I would like to know who the collectors on the forum are using for their research these days?

J. Collins has for some reason taken down his research site in the last few months? His site was helpful as you could pay and order online. I am surprised that no one else has produced a web site like his old one, especially considering the 2014 centenary?

I am not looking for a researcher to produce a complete package of paperwork for between 25 - 75 pounds. I am looking for someone who can gain access to the medal rolls and other documents held by the NA that are not online. Simple look ups that I know the NA index number for.

Are there any Pals on the forum who can do this kind of paid work?

Thank you.

you tried asking on the BMF ?

I would of tried these chaps on the forum but I was lead to believe they are what I call "package researchers", producing bulk portfolios for one individual soldier.

All I am looking for is one individual page, for which I have a NA reference and even the page number of the document.

There doesn't seem to be any researchers around anymore who say it will be X price for a medal roll entry etc etc?

Now there is a niche business idea for anyone who can get to the NA and build a web site.

Does anyone know when the rest of the medal rolls will be on line and will it just be on the site listed above or is the NA planning on adding them to their site?

Thank you for th replies gentlemen. Very informative.

It is good to hear Chris, that the medal rolls will be online soon. Soon we will be able to establish the unit details of the 60 percent of men who do not have burnt papers.

Apart from all the big Corps, where unit details are rarely shown.

Hi Chris,

When entitled, Ive always tried to use the Silver War Badge roll for those illusive corps men. Ive had a lot of success with the Royal Engineers.

There is also another option.....more of a guess really........the CWWG database can be used to discern any noticeable number patterns of casualties. A last resort and no exact science.

The most frustration for me, is when i read a regimental history........ e.g. Private Burton participated in a trench raid......and then i discover that there were three private Burtons all of which served in the same Battalion! Could not find even one set of service papers for one of the Private Burtons! Looking forward to the war dairies too!