Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returning medals to family

deadin

Last year I decided to put together a display of a handgun that belonged to a RAMC Doctor from WW1. As part of the display I wanted to have a representative set of his medals (a MC , Trio and MID). I found a Trio that needed rehanging (the ribbons were totally tattered and torn) and the Victory Medal had some damage that I had repaired as well as possible. I have purchased a copy MC, MID device and replacement ribbon for the Trio.

Now I’m in a bit of a quandary. I’m feeling that I should make an effort to find the family of the Canadian infantryman that the Trio is named to. I’m not interested in just selling the set and replacing them with copies unless the originals find their way back to family. I’m just not sure where to start.

Why not post your request on the CEF Study Group forum? You would be surprised by what information they can winkle out!

All the best,

Gary

The family most likely sold the medals in the first place. Are you going to return the gun as well to that family ? You'd have nothing left

Are you going to return the gun as well to that family ?

I think not,,, :glare: (I had never thought of it that way.)

BTW, My Doctor's Field Ambulance was attached to the Coldstream Guards

who's the doc?

If you PM me the man's name and number, I'll do a little poking around on Canadian Ancestry. Be advised that Canadians especially in Ontario do tend to move around. You might find a match, and you may find that the family never gets back to you.

Michael

who's the doc?

t/Capt Charles Francis Drew RAMC. He was a Aussie that answered the call in March 1915 was assigned to the 9th FA and entered France in June 1915, demobbed December 1918.

I have excerpts where he is mentioned in the 9ths War Diary from 1918 onwards. (Many thanks to Pete Starling)

The family most likely sold the medals in the first place. Are you going to return the gun as well to that family ? You'd have nothing left

Coldstreamer makes a valid observation, further to that, is the descendant going to pay fair market value? (considering that they probably feel you shouldn't have them in the first place) how do you know that they going to keep and treasure them? (they may resell them or worse split up the trio) if the veteran had numerous descendants which one do you contact? I am aware of situations where the issue of, who has granddads medals, has been the cause of enormous family ill feeling. I cannot imagine anyone saying 'no' to the return of medals but after the immediate 'thanks very much' they will probably be consigned to the bottom of a drawer. In my opinion the medals are more appreciated in the long term by a collector.

khaki

I've done a little poking around. The family emigrated to the United States in 1919. There are 13 public family trees that include him, with varying amounts of detail.

As has been said, who gets them?

Michael

Thanks to Michaels research, Coldstreamers and khakis reasoning, I think I will just keep them and continue on with my project.

I keep adding things I want to have in the display, I have a cap badge coming from Clanfields and now I'm thinking of a lanyard and possibly a belt.

I already have the holster.

I had better quit before I outgrow that display case.....

Dean...

You could even swap the trio for one to the R.A.M.C. and walk away with cash in pocket for other goodies.

Michael

You could even swap the trio for one to the R.A.M.C. and walk away with cash in pocket for other goodies.

Am I to assume that Canadian Trios are scarcer than R.A.M.C. Trio's?

I don't know about being any scarcer, but as a Canadian Collector, I do know that Canadian units are higher priced than their British counterparts in all corps.

RCAMC will cost you more than RAMC

CASC and ASC

CAVC and AVC

seems you put a "C" in the unit and it stands for $

I think the number is 71,150 1914-15 Star trios to Canadians as against several hundred thousand (if not million) to Brits. The Canadian government site says 2,366,000 total.

Michael

sadly some medals to corps are worth less than erased medals