Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plated 1914 - 15 star

dutch701

Hi All,

I have just aquired a WW1 trio to a driver in the A. S. C. , I am just curious about the star as it seems to have been plated. they are all correctly named and numbered to the same recipient. T-36023 DRV G TYERMAN A.S.C. as is on his Mic.
Is this common as it not like any other stars I have seen. Although I have seen one more today on an auction site.

Best regards Shane

Hello Shane,

Not too common, but usually done by the veteran to avoid repeated polishing, I have a GW 1914/bar group that I have had for about thirty years or so, group includes Belgian and French medals. The group was plated and initially I had thoughts of having it removed but I was concerned that it would damage the underlying metals so I never bothered. Anyway the recipient was apparently happy with them (he was a cavalry man Dragoon Guards from memory) and they look great in a frame as they don't tarnish. I wouldn't suggest that collectors run out and have it done, but I don't think any less of them as medals.

regards

khaki

Cheers for that Khaki,

The victory medal has had a lot of polishing in its life and may also have had a coating placed on it too. But it has made me feel happier about them.

Best regards Shane.

Hi Shane, I also have a star to an ASC man that appears plated, I bought it online a few years back when i first started to collect, it was listed as been recently polished but it seems to be plated as its as bright as when i bought it, must admit i prefer a bit of patina !,

John.

Hello John,

Your medal may have been polished and coated with a clear lacquer as opposed to being plated, I have seen both done and in my experience some minimal dulling will occur over time under the lacquer, whereas the plating is more durable and surface dulling if it occurs can be easily cleaned. I tend to think of medals as being the possessions of civilians as they mostly were or ultimately became and whether to keep them polished and shiny or left to develop a nice patina is a never ending question for the collector. Personal choice of course, for me the shiny plated ones remind me of the military at reviews and veterans at remembrance parades. As for polishing medals in a collection no I wouldn't, regular polishing will of course cause wear to the metal each time and detract from their inherent value.

khaki

If i get a minute i will take a photo and post it on here, this one as definatley been plated and not laquered, this too is as bright as. it is just starting to wear on the edges and high points.

Shane

I have a WW2 Irish Army 'Emergency' medal and a WW1 death plaque, both acquired at different times and both are silvered. Why I have no idea.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hello John,

Your medal may have been polished and coated with a clear lacquer as opposed to being plated, I have seen both done and in my experience some minimal dulling will occur over time under the lacquer, whereas the plating is more durable and surface dulling if it occurs can be easily cleaned. I tend to think of medals as being the possessions of civilians as they mostly were or ultimately became and whether to keep them polished and shiny or left to develop a nice patina is a never ending question for the collector. Personal choice of course, for me the shiny plated ones remind me of the military at reviews and veterans at remembrance parades. As for polishing medals in a collection no I wouldn't, regular polishing will of course cause wear to the metal each time and detract from their inherent value.

khaki

many thanks for that, will get a pic taken in natural light, on Friday as should be home in daylight,

cheers,

John.

Tried some shots of my 14 star under the desk light, not too clever as you can see the reflection of the camera lens, may give you some idea !, John.

post-27136-0-94256100-1392922380_thumb.j

post-27136-0-95955000-1392922397_thumb.j

Hello Shane & John,

Thank you for posting the medal photo's, I would agree appears to be plating rather than lacquer, I think they all look perfectly acceptable for being framed for long term display. Check out the forum, militaria displayed, category and you will see some first glass medal displays that forum members have done.

have fun !

regards

khaki

Thanks for the infill guys, now I've seen another , which seems to have the same plating as mine has made me feel better about it.

And Iwill be checking out forum on displaying.

All the best Shane

A very common practice in Canada.

Soldiers have been plating their medals since the issue of the Waterloo medal.

Many health damaging chemicals were used in the process of gold plating, so it is now uncommon to find a jeweler in the UK who can plate on site. There are various chemical dips and plating pens that have come on the market for plate/gilding restoration but nothing compares to the old processes.

Think of the plating as a coat of paint to safeguard the medal underneath. Nice medals.

A very common practice in Canada.

Soldiers have been plating their medals since the issue of the Waterloo medal.

Many health damaging chemicals were used in the process of gold plating, so it is now uncommon to find a jeweler in the UK who can plate on site. There are various chemical dips and plating pens that have come on the market for plate/gilding restoration but nothing compares to the old processes.

Think of the plating as a coat of paint to safeguard the medal underneath. Nice medals.

Many thanks,

John.