Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigade War Diaries

colin.green14

Hi All,

In the past I have downloaded various Battalion War Diaries, some have appendices with Brigade Orders, some not. Has anyone had experience of ordering Brigade or Division Diaries, and if so what is to be expected!.

Regards

Colin

I have a few Bde diaries. Very useful, and obviously covering the whole Brigade, not just individual battalion. I think sometimes covering weather too. Essential if wanting the whole picture. Others will have greater knowledge, but possibly a few maps, casualties etc. I dare say they vary in content, much like Battalion diaries, and depends who wrote them up?

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. I have found that when the Operational Orders are with the War Diaries, there do give a greater understanding of the whole picture, and give greater clarity to my project at the moment of transcribing the war Diaries of the 1/4th Oxford and Bucks.

Colin

• 3 months later...

Do you have 7th Brigade diaries for 1916. My Grandfather was in the 3rd Worcesters which were part of the 25th Division. He was killed on 1.6.16 at Vimy Ridge and buried in a Military Cemetery in France. Many thanks.

Hi ritam. I don't have the diary for the Worcesters, I'm afraid. Someone might have them, or you can download the diary Nov 1915-Oct 1917 Click

The 7th Brigade HQ diaries are in here somewhere, i think Click

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Any information or photos related to the 57th Infantry Brigade which fought within the 19th (Western) Division on the Western Front, would be most welcome. And particularly photos or information related to the 57th Machine Gun Corps Company. By the way, I already have the War Diaries of the 57th MGC Coy but i'm looking for photos or any other kind of information on this unit during years 1916 and 1917 including Battle of Messines, Third Battle of Ypres/Passchendaele and Battle of Cambrai.

Cheers and many thanks in advance.

Chris