Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham University Centenary Projects

neverforget

Here`s a couple of links (hopefully) to a couple of things happening at Birmingham University. I intend to go and have a look at the sculpture at least, so when I do I`ll take some pics and post them here.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/events/arts-and-science/ArtsScience2014/Talks2014/Birmingham-Great-War-Centenary-Lecture-Roads-to-War.aspx

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/news-events/news/paper-exhibition-commenorates-world-war-one-centenary

It is misleading and confusing to head the thread "Birmingham University Centenary Projects". Whilst the first project emanates from Birmingham University, the second, the paper sculpture, is at Birmingham City University, an entirely separate establishment, better known to many by its former title, Birmingham Polytechnic, and then for some years as the University of Central England (UCE).

As Birmingham City University occupies a number of disparate sites, it is not very helpful to simply to state that the sculpture is displayed at the University's Parkside building, without saying where that is.

Thanks for reminding me about the paper sculpture - I'd read about it in the national press. Sorry you have made someone cross - I too am vague in old age, but the internet and searching can sort this for most of us able to visit.

Many thanks. Your post and comments are much appreciated, and I`m so relieved to have it confirmed that I didn`t manage to mislead and confuse you too much by my original post.

You may be amused, as I was, to see the similarity to another quote from our unhappy member, in response to another one of my threads:

"For the record, it should be noted that the title to this thread is strangely misleading. Smethwick, although adjacent to Birmingham, has never been part of Birmingham, and was for many years a county borough in its own right,

If Upands cemetery is in Smethwick, than "Birmingham" ought not to be appended, and this has implications for any enquiries that might be made to the relevant local authority, which, in the case of Smethwick, has from 1 April 1974 been the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell."

I wonder if anyone can see a pattern starting to develop here.

Tho the exhibition may be brilliant, we should report that the website of Birmingham City University inspires no confidence. The exhibit is in the Shell Theatre at the Parkside Building. The uni website points one to its building finder, a link to which was not to be found.

Google maps shows the Parkside Building a mile's walk from the main train station, with no suggested bus.

So a lot of fruitless searching on their site and nothing yet about public transport or parking.

I agree that the B.C.U. website leaves much to be desired, so thanks Chris for the helpful link to a better one. I was going to try to find out a bit more info and post it once I come off my stint of nights, but the one that you have provided seems to cover everything. Not sure about the buses though.

As far as the car-parking charges go, a pound an hour isn`t too bad I suppose for city centre parking, but personally I tend to avoid driving into the city centre, and usually park up somewhere on the outskirts and jump on the train.

I`m not too sure I quite believe that it`s only half a mile walk from Moor Street though. We`ll see.

I`ve pencilled it in for next Friday anyway, which is my next day off, so if no-one has reviewed it before then, I`ll post my two penn`orth for what that`s worth, and some pictures.

Best regards.

Don`t know what happened here, but I think I accidentally deleted my post about this exhibition, so I`ll try to re-post my humble review.

I visited the exhib` today, and give it a massive thumbs up ! :thumbsup:

It was larger, and more detailed than I was expecting, and the fact that it is made entirely from brown paper gave it a very eerie atmosphere. Considering the mud/khaki environment that the soldiers lived in, I thought that the choice of brown paper as a medium for the sculpture was an inspired one, and in conjunction with the lighting produces an effect that is nothing short of stunning.

My wife made a couple of short films that I am in the process of uploading here : http://youtu.be/FZyqNbirZLg is a link to the first one, but I see that there are still an estimated 369 minutes left, so don`t hold your breath. when and if the first one does upload, I`ll post a link to the second one.

Well done to all concerned with the project, and my recommendation is "Catch it if you can !"

post-95959-0-44959400-1393617150_thumb.j

post-95959-0-51443000-1393619744_thumb.j

post-95959-0-94968900-1393620137_thumb.j

post-95959-0-67012300-1393620493_thumb.j

Black-belts in origami ? :thumbsup:

Just to tidy up the thread. the links to both bits of film are now here:

Second film marvellous. Had no idea there were lights and sounds.

The first film is set as Private. Cant gain entry to it. Please alter the settings to make it public, if you can. I myself have difficulty with uploading video and making it visible, so please thank your wife.

Thank you for kindly for your comments, and for pointing out to me that the setting was on "private". :thumbsup: I had no idea of course, but it is something that I will always check before posting again.

I have just been on Youtube and amended the settings, so you should be able to view it o.k. now. The film that you haven`t seen is somewhat more interesting than the second one, as it is a little mini-tour around the exhibition.

If you`re thinking of going, park in the Millenium Point car park, as per Chris`s instructions, and it`s just a very short stroll to the Parkside building.

Incidentally, somewhere in the foggy haze that is my memory, I seem to recall hearing that the Royal Navy have purchased the entire sculpture, and intend to display it at one of their bases. It`s good to think that it`s not just destined to be put into mothballs, which is the fate for a lot of these exhibitions once their time is run.

Thank you. Great installation and great films of it too for those of us who cant get to Birmingham. Much appreciated by OH and me.