Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform help wanted

DrB

I need some help from the Pals, please.

What color was the waist sash, worn under the belt on the blue overcoat, did the infantry of the French Foreign Legion wear during the opening days of WWI?

Thank you.

DrB

:blink:

Yes, ceinture de tradidion was blue. Not only the opening days (in fact Légion Étrangère wasn`t in action in the opening days, but late on 1914), but throught the whole war and even some time after it...

Thank you Doogle and Landstrum. Now, What shade of blue? Dark, like the coat, medium or light?

Thanks again.

DrB :

:huh:

Haven`t seen any light blue ones, but all which I`ve seen are different shades of dark blue. It was made of woollen and 4,2 metres long.

DrB,

You might find this of additional interest. Those belts also known as "Ceinture de Laines' or 'Ceinture de Flannel du modele Algerien" were general issue to troupes d' Afrique, or troupes assigned to the 19th Armee Corps (Armee d Afrique).

The Ceinture bleu (like a royal/medium blue) was issue to both Legion and Zouaves and was 4.2 mX .40 m. Tirailleur Algeriens were issued a ceinture rouge(Scarlet) of the same size. The length was reduced to 3 meters in August 1918. On 22 January 1915 orders were issued stating that if worn the Ceinture was to be worn under the Coat or tunic (out of sight), the legion was only allowed to wear it over the coat or tunic on designated special occasions.

The issue of the Ceinture Flannel (in a natural flannel cloth) was extended to the rest of the Metropolitan Army on 8 August 1915.

Joe Sweeney

Thank you gentlemen. That info is much appreciated. Now my 54mm, WWI FFL will have the proper color applied to his waist sash, or ceinture de Laines.

Cheers!

DrB

:)