Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Trench Club

calibre792x57.y

We have had a few posts recently on trench clubs, some more unusual than others. Here is a evidently professionally produced item although it is the only one I have seen. A member once told me there was a similar item in the reserve collection of the IWM but there appears to be no reference to it on the site. I have had it for many years. - It is about 18 inches in length and has a capstan shaped head and a beech? handle. It has been nickel plated, probably as a souvenir post War by some one working in the trade. I believe it is German because of it's construction with a heavy spring. Circa 1916. Has anyone got another? - SW

post-47661-0-17073900-1392648007_thumb.j

SW

Your information is right, the IWM does have an example of this type of German trench club although not with wood polished and metal parts plated. It's in the on-line catalogue items but is not illustrated. Catalogue number WEA 2130.

Mike

I think that to be picky and pedantic because it isn't rigid technically it's a cosh and not a club, not that the distinction would be noted by someone you hit with it!

Would the unlucky recipient feel any difference between the sprung and unsprung variety? Presumably the spring is designed to increase its effectiveness.

Would the unlucky recipient feel any difference between the sprung and unsprung variety? Presumably the spring is designed to increase its effectiveness.

Or is it to reduce the shock on the user? (which would actually reduce the impact of the blow slightly I suspect by allowing some "give").

Physics is not my strong point.

Chris

A cosh is more deadly than a club, acts a bit like a squash head and transmits shock through the skull better

• 1 month later...

Greetings SW,

Saw this image and remembered your chromed variant. Thought you’d want to see the image which came from this website http://reibert.livejournal.com/88680.html?thread=797800 (see the red arrow). It’s a bunch of pictures from this museum http://www.armeemuseum.de/en/ I had the opportunity to visit after they re-did their WW! Section and it is a must see if in Bavaria. I believe you are correct about it being of German origin.

Regards,

Lance

post-61350-0-26911400-1396832547_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Lance - Apologies for this late reply - bad habit of not revisiting my own posts! Thank you for the information and for the picture of the clubs. I have since been sent a photo of clubs gathered for the IWM display at the end of the War which shows the similar item now in the their collection. Definitely a German item as another picture of the members of the 144th Light Trench Mortar Battery displaying their souvenirs of the Battle of the Somme taken in August 1916 shows one soldier displaying this item. This pretty much confirms the nationality and period. Thanks again - SW

Lance - Apologies for this late reply - bad habit of not revisiting my own posts! Thank you for the information and for the picture of the clubs. I have since been sent a photo of clubs gathered for the IWM display at the end of the War which shows the similar item now in the their collection. Definitely a German item as another picture of the members of the 144th Light Trench Mortar Battery displaying their souvenirs of the Battle of the Somme taken in August 1916 shows one soldier displaying this item. This pretty much confirms the nationality and period. Thanks again - SW

No worries SW, I have recently moved back to Bavaria and hope to soon re-visit the Bavarian Military Museum.

Regards,

Lance