Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Special Constabulary Medal w. Great War Bar.

Redcap

I know these medals can be devilishly difficult to track, but this chap as well as being a Special Constable, was a member of the Royal Defence Corps

William John Taylor
Private
312 Protection Coy
Royal Defence Corps
Service No 29765
He is also listed as a casualty on the CWGC database on 22/4/17 but that's the only info I have on military service.
As my main field of interest if the MFP and MMP, I know little of the RDC other than the most basic details.
If only serving in the UK, what kind of duties would involve an RDC soldier being killed ?

post-107139-0-01677200-1392549458_thumb.

Whilst waiting for a proper expert Pal to hove into view, some of your questions can be answered fairly easily...

TAYLOR, WILLIAM JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 29765. Date of Death: 22/04/1917.
Regiment/Service: Royal Defence Corps. 312th Protection Coy (late 22612 Welsh Regiment)
Grave Reference: 6M. Cemetery: KIRK PATRICK (HOLY TRINITY) CHURCHYARD
Kirk Patrick Churchyard is on the Isle of Man, where many old soldiers were tasked with either protection important installations , or as the isle of Man was designated as a place to intern "enemy aliens", guarding their compounds.
In October 1914 the National Reserve was formed into Protection Companies, which were attached to existing TF battalions, for the guarding of railways and other vulnerable points in Britain. That November, all Class I and II men were ordered to present themselves for enlistment. In March 1915 the Protection Companies were redesignated as Supernumerary Companies TF.
Interestingly, he's buried next to another comrade
DAVIES, EDWARD. Rank: Private. Service No: 29725. Date of Death: 06/02/1917.
Regiment/Service: Royal Defence Corps. 312th Protection Coy (late 20171) Welsh Regiment
Grave Reference: 5M. Cemetery: KIRK PATRICK (HOLY TRINITY) CHURCHYARD.
It doesn't show his age, but I would imagine he was getting on a bit!
The medal wasn't instituted until 1919, so a member of his family (or perhaps the Chief Constable) must have applied for it after his death.
I hope that helps whilst waiting the "proper" answer!

Ta very much for that ! One thing that confused me was his date of death being in April 1917 when RDC wasn't formed until August 1917. How could he have belonged to something which wasn't formed until after his death ?

I have a great interest in WW1 "Home Front" material, especially the "On War Service" badges and those who "did their bit" home in the UK in general so was fascinated by the fact that this guy was on the CWGC site. I'd love to know how he died, though if he was elderly I suppose it may well have been a medical issue/natural causes - but then would he be on the CWGC site then ?

• Admin

Ta very much for that ! One thing that confused me was his date of death being in April 1917 when RDC wasn't formed until August 1917. How could he have belonged to something which wasn't formed until after his death ?

I have a great interest in WW1 "Home Front" material, especially the "On War Service" badges and those who "did their bit" home in the UK in general so was fascinated by the fact that this guy was on the CWGC site. I'd love to know how he died, though if he was elderly I suppose it may well have been a medical issue/natural causes - but then would he be on the CWGC site then ?

An Army Order was issued on March 18th 1916 noting the issue of the Royal Warrant of March 16th 1916 leading to the formation of the RDC, obviously as with all new formations it took a while to get going, it's officers were Gazzetted on 29th June, but was well in place by April 1917.

SDGW shows he 'died' which means his death was a result of sickness or accident. He is on the CWGC Roll of Honour as he was serving in the armed forces during the qualifying period, and had he not been in the Army he might well not have died. There were 11 Casualties recorded at CWGC for this protection company, where an age is shown the range was 49 to 54. Their graves are scattered through the country but there is a strong Welsh connection and as your man is shown as enlisting in Cardiff and living there might be worth looking for him around this age range. As he died in the UK he would have a death certificate in the normal way.

Ken

Much obliged for the extra info. I checked the Cardiff Census for 1911 and there were two William John Taylors in their 50s before the outbreak of WW1 so may well have been one of these two but no real clues as to which one.

Picked up an RDC shoulder title to display with the medal but still confused by what appear to be conflicting opinions on the cap badge it seems they wore, i.e. the Crowned GVR monogram a la Norfolk Yeomanry or MPSC but some suggest with a title scroll below while others say the Norfolk Yeomanry/ MPSC style without scroll.

There is a William John Taylor listed as a fatality on the Cardiff Corporation roll of honour. This may well be your man as I haven't traced anyone else from Cardiff with that name who died in the war. He may, therefore, have been an employee of the Corporation. Alternatively, perhaps he was included because he was a Special. The roll certainly includes members of the Cardiff City Constabulary.

Gwyn

• 1 month later...
Guest mrlovely

Wow, just discovered this thread today whilst googling William's service number. He's my great grandad! :)

He was born 5/9/1881 and died age 37 on the Isle of Man, I visited the grave about 4 years ago and managed to obtain a copy of his death certificate which stated coronary, haven't dug up much more than that so far, I'm very interested in how you discovered he received a special constable medal?

I also photographed all the CW graves at Kirk Patrick when I was visiting, my best guess is he was a serving warder/constable at Knockaloe internment camp, but I have zero evidence.

http://www.tessjeantaylor.com/IoM1.jpg

http://www.tessjeantaylor.com/IoM2.jpg

This is his grave.

http://www.tessjeantaylor.com/IoM3.jpg

I'll scan his death certificate tomorrow if you're interested, I also have hi res images of all the other graves at Kirk Patrick if anyone else discovers a family connection.