Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Arthur EVANS

Stephen Nulty

While looking at some images from Prescot Parish Church (my hometown), I noticed a window dedicated to the above.

CWGC tells me

Name: EVANS, ARTHUR FREDERIC

Initials: A F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 100th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 30/10/1918

Additional information: Son of the late Arthur Frederic Evans and of Emily Mary Evans, of Fazakerley House, Prescot, Lancs. An Architect.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 12.

Cemetery: CHARMES MILITARY CEMETERY, ESSEGNEY

But I was just curious to knwo if anybody can tell me any more about this man.

Regards

SN

Stephen

Lt Arthur Frederick Evans, aged 32, (from Prescot, Lancashire, and formerly with the 5th Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers) was the pilot of Handley-Page O/400 C9728 of No 100 Sqn RAF when he was killed on 30 October 1918. The other crew members, Lt J V Mackenzie and Lt W B Warneford, were wounded. The end of the aircraft isn't listed in 'The Sky Their Battlefield' so it may have been a flying accident while on a bombing mission.

No 100 Sqn was re-equipped with the HP O/400 in September 1918, having previously flown the FE2b and FE2d. A photograph of a No 100 Sqn O/400 is below.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

post-25-1097052665.jpg

Gareth

Actually, you've let me down. I reckoned you'd have answered that within 15 minutes but it took almost 30. It must be too early for you!!!!

Seriously, many thanks for that. I had no interest other than curiosity, but next time I'm in the church (within the next two weeks), I'll spend a moment at the window and remember our man.

Many thanks

Stephen