Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench art. Naval 6lb cartridge. MGC

johnnie

Dear all. I have just picked up a piece of trench art and was wondering if any members had any comments. It seems to be a naval 6lb cartridge but the artwork is a flower on one side, and what appears to be the MGC crest on the other.

Can any members suggest why the MGC badge would appear on a naval cartridge? Did any MGC men serve at sea?

I seem to have some recollection of being told that some naval 6lb guns were used on early tanks. Is it therefore possible (and this is a big leap) that the cartridge was used by the MGC Heavy Section?

Any help, advice or suggestions would be great.

Johnnie

Another picture.

post-11843-0-48071800-1392459855_thumb.j

post-11843-0-12866600-1392459908_thumb.j

post-11843-0-68670300-1392460235_thumb.j

You are quite correct that the 6Pr. gun used in tanks was originally a naval weapon but that is not a naval cartridge case. It is a standard 6 Pr. Mark III for a tank, made by Kynoch in Birmingham in 1917 and filled once with a full charge (CF).

The anchor symbol does not indicate Royal Navy use. The symbol for naval issue is a capital "N" in the headstamp. Having said that, I do not know the exact meaning of the anchor other than that it appears to be an inspection mark and is quite often seen.

Regards

TontE