Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian 57th Regiment - The Peterborough Rangers

5963silversurfer

My Great-Grandfather emigrated to Canada and then joined the 39th Battalion, 57th Regiment, Peterborough Rangers - in Peterborough, Ontario February 1915

I know he was posted to France and that he survived the war but I'm having no luck finding out anything else.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen,

You can use this link to find his Attestation Papers - http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php. From there, follow the links if you wish to order his service record. Good luck with your search!

All the best,

Gary

That's great!

Thank you

Stephen,

From what I can find, the Peterborough Rangers were acting as a recruiting depot for the 39th battalion. In WWI, Canada did not activate militia units but raised a series of new battalions for the CEF. Your great-grandfather may have been a pre-war member of the 57th but only his AP or battalion nominal roll will provide this information.

All the best,

Gary

Ancestry has some Militia pay lists from this period (i.e. when called out for training). They are not complete, as some units did not get called out as an economy measure.

Let us know his name and i'll see what I can find.

Michael

Thank you Michael

Albert Edward Naish

I believe his division were shipped to England some time in 1915.

I also think he served with the 57th prior to the war too.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen,

This is the link to his AP - http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=bk8eipk38d98ssua0taaidttp6&q1=Naish&q2=&q3=&interval=20

Four years service in the 57th before joining the CEF.

All the best,

Gary

Only list is for 1908. Pte. Nash (no initials are given) No. 1 Company. Four days in camp September 6-9. 50 cents a day, plus $1.60 efficiency pay.

Michael

Thanks again Michael and Gary.

His wife and daughters came over to England in 1915, after he enlisted. There is an old family story of a boat being attacked by a German submarine and passengers being rescued. I can rule out this for the civilians but wonder if Alberts ship might have come under attack?

Clutching at straws here.

Regards

Stephen

Albert Edward Nash appears on the Embakation Roll for the 39th Battalion CEF which sailed for England on the SS Missanabie departing Montreal June 24th 1915 arriving at Plymouth on July 4th.

This letter by Sgt Charles Bovyer Hamm of the 2nd draft 47th Battalion CEF which made the same voyage will provide some insight into the trip.

Many thanks for the link to the letter.

What is most interesting is the letter he sent home the following week. In that he gives reassurances that rumours of his ship having been torpedoed we're not true.

So it looks more and more like a family myth after all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stephen,

Maj Gen. Albert Edward Nash born in Swansea, Wales, UK on 15th October 1881.

He lived most of his life in Canada.

Died in the UK on 4 June, 1944.

There is a marker in St. John's Anglican cemetery, North York, Ontario which reads "In loving memory of Maj. Gen. Albert Edward Nash M.C.E.D. Beloved husband of Yvonne Cauchon. 15 October 1881 to 4 June 1944."

Does this sound like the man you're looking for?

Chris

post-107863-0-23981000-1394029543_thumb.

post-107863-0-93342500-1394093089_thumb.

AE Nash in Patience, Edmonton, 1909

post-107863-0-34145200-1394093160_thumb.

AE Nash, not sure when it was taken

I have other photos scanned from my great-aunt Marg's photo collection. Marg was the middle of his three daughters. I have his training certificate around somewhere too. "Distinguished in strategy".

AE Nash is also my great grandfather.

Chris

Chris

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post these excellent photos.

Unfortunately my relative is Albert Edward NAISH, not NASH who was originally from Salisbury, England before emigrating to Peterborough, Ontario.

After the war, he lived in Birmingham, England and died in 1948.

I'm now not sure whether the embarkation roll entry earlier in the thread refers to your relative or mine as Naish was often misspelt as Nash on other records. I do have my relatives Attestation papers which were spelt correctly as Naish.

Regards

Stephen

• 5 years later...

I am an American trying to find the service record of my wife's grandfather Pvt JH (John Henry?) Williams KIA 2-10-1918

He was a member of C Company, 57th Regiment of the Peterborough Rangers 93rd Bn CEF

Specifically we would like to know when he was deployed to France and if he may have been a participant in the Vimy Ridge battle the year before he was KIA

His overseas military burial report lists his Regiment No as 195245 but lists his unit as 2nd Battalion Canadian Machine Gun Corp (which I think was not formed until after his death)

We know he is buried at Cagnicourt British Cemetery near Arras France

Any direction or help anyone can provide in determining when he was deployed to France and whether he may have been a participant in the Vimy Ridge battle would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

John Eckel