Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Bayonet and Markings

Yank

Hi there: This is my first post and I can't figure out how to work my way to the "First Post" page, so forgive me. I indeed agree to abide by the rules and regulations of this forum.

Anyway, I have a bayonet which I beleive to be British from the markings. It was my grandfather's; no, he wasn't a Fusilier-- he probably bought it in some Springfield, Massachusetts (his home town) junk shop some time before WWII. My mother gave it to me some years ago and it has been gathering dust in my closet. I checked "1907 Bayonet " but am not coming up with anything that looks like this. This looks more like a Japanese bayo or something with that hook on it. There are markings on the scabbard which I will post next (can't seem to put them in one post) Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Yank

post-107040-0-14164500-1392387681_thumb.post-107040-0-97142700-1392387702_thumb.post-107040-0-71639200-1392387996_thumb.post-107040-0-99799700-1392388147_thumb.

Yank,

A quick reply pending hearing from those more knowledgeable. You have a Pattern 1907 bayonet that still has its fighting quillion. It appears to have been manufactured by Enfield in May 1911. Based on the "D and broad arrow" mark, it saw time with the Australian forces. The fighting quillion bayonets are quite scarce and valuable.

All the best,

Gary

As Gary said. Hooked Quillons (the cross-guard) were removed post 1913 so remaining examples are considerably scarcer and more sought after.

The scabbard is not the correct one for this bayonet. I am not an expert either but this looks to be a German scabbard and it is marked with unit ownership stamp.

Chris

It is in the wrong scabbard! The one shown is for an Imperial German Bayonet (I dont know which one!!) which is marked to the 104th Regiment??

I have attached a photo of the correct pattern scabbard. The first pattern 1907 Bayonet scabbards had a similar leather scabbard but with an internal metal chape at the bottom rather than the external one shown. The one shown is a lot easier to find!

The bayonet itself was manufactured at Enfield (North London, UK) during May, 1911 and later issued to the Australian Forces.

I am certain others will give more information about both the scabbard and bayonet.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-02356200-1392392728_thumb.j

This is all very interesting thus far. I had no idea this was a scarce item and no idea it had a German scabbard. Actually, I had no idea about much of anything regarding it. As for value, it doens't really matter (it is a nice aspect of course) since it was my grandfather's and I'll pass it along in the family.

The reason it looks so like a Japanese Type 30 bayonet is because the British Pattern 1907 bayonet was based on the Japanese design.

Regards

TonyE

Yes it is certainly a P1907 hookie that ended up being shipped out to Australia. The D^ is the Australian Government ownership stamp. While the letter V signifies Victorian issue.

Quite a few of the 1911 production bayonets were sent out from Enfield and stamped on the crossguard with the Victorian issue serial numbers. See one of mine from same batch.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-72706100-1392442654_thumb.jpost-52604-0-15368900-1392442618_thumb.j

Very interesting bayonet Yank. As others have noted its a P1907 which was issued to Australian troops. There are a few threads on here about these early Australian markings, but that is a particularly desirable example (mainly from a bayonet collecting perspective) as it has retained its quillon.

Agree that the scabbard is from a German 1871 bayonet which was near osolete during ww1 but (as I understand it) was still in use with some landwehr units etc.

As Gary notes the Australian-marked hook quillon 1907s regularly fetch very high prices, and are difficult to find.

Nice find Yank, that is a real nice/scarce hooky but if you ever wish to part with the S71 scabbard then you could send it to a loving home across the pond in UK, just so happens that I take in bayonet/scabbard waifs & strays ;)

Aleck

That is a very nice bayonet and an even nicer scabbard! The markings 104 R 11 3 indicate the 104th regiment company 11, weapon 3. The markings below that are German inspector's marks.

Welcome to the Forum!

I believe (and someone please correct me if I am mistaken) that the 104th Infanterie-Regiment was a part of the 40th Division throughout the war. If you would like to read a little bit about the 104 Infanterie-Regiment to whom your scabbard was assigned, give a Google to 'Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army Which Participated In The War', pp. 442-445. It's available as a free, downloadable pdf.

Amusing, the combination of things going on with your bayonet!

-Daniel

Here is an interesting LINK which shows a member of that 104th Regiment wielding a Gewehr 88 with the SG71 bayonet fitted. Appears he's missing his scabbard.? :lol:

Cheers, S>S

Here is an interesting LINK which shows a member of that 104th Regiment wielding a Gewehr 88 with the SG71 bayonet fitted. Appears he's missing his scabbard.? :lol:

Cheers, S>S

:w00t: