Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marlborough College centenary plans - archives digitalisation

Moonraker

Moonraker, please let the forum know when the records become available.

Thanks

Edwin

Guess it's a matter of keeping an eye on the website. I get a very occasional email from the College, as happened today, which prompted me to open this thread

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker. I'll drop them a line given that three of the people in my book were OMs.

Charles

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

archive web site launched

The College has announced a series of commemorative events for the rest of the year, including poetry readings, a lecture by David Walsh, co-author of Public Schools and the Great War, an art exhibition.readings by Michael Morpurgo, a Remembrance Sunday service, a presumably separate Remembrance Day service of readings and music, a film based on the WWI writings and experiences of Old Marlburians, a History Society lecture by Professor Ian Beckett, a trip to Salem and the film "Joyeaux Noel".

I imagine that most, if not all, of these will be for current and old Marlburians only.

Moonraker

• 3 months later...

video

tells the stories of some nine members of the Marlburian community one hundred years ago. It is based on their writings and on their experiences told through their own words, or through the words of those who have known them either personally or by studying them. It attempts to link their past with our present, and in so doing to preserve the collective memory of all those who served and who gave their lives.

Moonraker

• 1 month later...

Last Friday evening my wife and I had the privilege of attending a showing of the film followed by a dinner at Marlborough College for those involved in the making of the film. (You will see me at about 18 minutes.) The first, unedited, version of the film was about 2 hours 15 minutes. It has been edited down to 1 hour which the one on the link posted by Moonraker above. I think the College and Suffolk Films did a fine job. I'm not sure what the future plans are with respect to the film, though I understand that a DVD will be available in due course.

• 7 months later...

Forthcoming events at Marlborough College include three screenings of "The 749" film and a Charles Hamilton Sorley exhibition next month, a talk about Sorley later this month and "Poets of the First World War" (in words and music) in Chapel in November. "The 749" is the film referred to above and relates to the number of Old Marlburians who died in the war.

The 749 are also commemorated by the Memorial Hall, on the right as one enters Marlborough along the A4 from the West.

Images

Almost a century of use has taken its toll, and the building is to be restored, the aim being to complete the work by July 2018, in time to commemorate the war's end.

(I wonder what they will do about those wooden benches. They could prove VERY hard to sit on for a couple of hours.)

Moonraker

• 7 months later...

The archive website

has progressed, and now has photos of most of the Old Marlburians killed during the war and copies of the College magazine from 1900 to 1925. (I haven't found a way to open the latter so they're legible; I suspect that my PC is missing some widget or other.)

Moonraker

Hi Moonraker

They open on an iPad ok, is there any specific one you require, if so I will copy and send.

John

John

Thanks for that. There's nothing specific that I want to look at at the moment. I may have a go at browsing one wet day.

I'm unable to open the magazine files directly; when I click on a particular file it's downloaded and when I click on that I get a suggestion to open it with Picasa Photo Viewer but only get a thumbnail. It could be my unfamiliarity with Windows 10.

Moonraker

Hi

Thanks Moonraker, found an excellent pic of

Basil Chamberlin Qu’appelle NORMAN

with a Lichfield connection.

Regards,

Graeme (staying with Windows 7 !!)

The magazines are PDFs, most browsers now should have a viewer built in, or you can still get Adobe Acrobat. Just click on the rectangle for a given number and it should open up (eventually - they're fairly large files). Having recently discovered several relatives attended the school in the early 20th century I need to have a bit more of a poke around. On,e having been ordained after Cambridge, returned to the school as a master during the war and was commissioned in the OTC there.

Still having trouble opening these with Firefox, but I reverted to Microsoft Edge and managed to get a readable page image without being asked which program I wanted to use and being signposted towards the Store.

Moonraker