Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley MkVI (born again)

Khaki

It is nothing unusual to see smle's with mismatched serial numbers on parts, even luger's, generally speaking most battle rifles are candidates for rebuild

without consideration for marching numbered parts, but you all know this already, so I will get to the point, yesterday I was offered a .455 MkVI Webley government issue but with mismatched parts, barrel, frame and cylinder. I have never seen this before, if the revolver had been a .45acp conversion then I would have automatically considered it a "parts rebuild" from left over imports.

I wonder, what happened to the revolvers that were salvaged after being 'lost' in no mans land for days or weeks? were they restored in the same manner as rifles by armorers in F&F without regard to the serial numbers etc.

I do not have any major publications on Webleys and I would appreciate any help from those of you that do.

thanks

khaki

khaki,

The .45 Webley conversions are usually original service revolvers with fully matching serial numbers, with just their cylinders shaved from the original .455 calibre.

Just recently someone posted regarding a Webley revolver, parts on which had been replaced, however those replaced parts were then handstamped ( by the Armourer ) with a serial number to match the revolver's original serial number. However, with battlefield conditions, parts could easily have been replaced from spare parts, or parts salvaged from other revolvers, with no regard to serial numbering.

As with most armament factories, large quantities of parts were left over after the weapon ceased production, and it is always possible for those surplus parts to have been assembled into revolvers, all of which have original parts, but with mismatched serial numbers.

Regards,

LF

........As with most armament factories, large quantities of parts were left over after the weapon ceased production, and it is always possible for those surplus parts to have been assembled into revolvers, all of which have original parts, but with mismatched serial numbers.

Regards,

LF

Unlikely, as the parts would not be serial numbered until assembled into a complete pistol. You can't have a bin full of pre-serialled cylinders and go looking for the one to match the frame you are building.

Regards

TonyE

Hello all.

I wonder, is it possible to own a WWI Webley revolver and shoot it with a UK FAC Class1?

Any information welcome.

Thanks

No sadly its not possible on a Section 1 FAC, take a bit more than that. As far as I know only two sections would allow owning and shooting, Section 5 (Not really possible for a regular guy normally dealers and such) or Section 7.3 means that the firearm can be kept at a designated 7.3 range and can be shot, you cannot take it home. There is another way but it is less fun Section 7.1 it means that you can keep the firearm at home without ammunition and it cannot be shot. Section 7 tends to come with collecting and researching firearms.

Gaz

Gaz.

Thanks for your reply. Such a shame, I have often thought if there could be some way of owning one.

Not to be.

Thanks again.

G.T.K.