Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham Pals

channelhopper

Does anyone have the book on the Birmingham Pals, who would kindly look up the following soldier for me.

414 LCpl Charles Henry Hughes

KIA 04/06/16 with the 15th Bn Warwickshire Regiment

Many Thanks

Peter

Hi Have the birminghan city batt CD may even be able to print a photo for you. Will have a look later for you or tomorrow if Im really busy

Cheers

Perce :D

Have checked disc and there is a picture of the platoon so if you want a copy Ill send one to you

perce :D

Ypu couldnt' do the same favour for me? I am looking for my Great-Grandfather: 1713 Private E (Ernest) McDermott. Anything you have would be great. I have the Pals book but couldn't find him in it.

Hi

Have left the disk at work will have a look for you in the morning if thats ok

cheers

Perce :D

Perce,

A photograph would be fantastic

Thanks very much

Peter

L/Cpl Charles Henry Hughes served in B Coy, 7 platoon. There is a platoon photo in the Battalions Book of Honour, but it does not tell you where each soldier is positioned.

Pte E McDermott, No.1713, will not be in the book.

He was a Regular with the 2nd Bn The Royal Warwicks. The Birmingham Daily Post has his name in the wounded lists on two occasions.

28 Dec 1914 and 2 Nov 1915 (I would guess 1st Ypres and Battle of Loos)

Cheers

Terry

Hi Peter,

L/Cpl. C. H. Hughes, 15th Bn. killed 4/6/16 is listed as buried in the Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery in thew Birmingham Pals by Terry Carter. Hope this helps you.

Regards John.

John

Thanks for that, may well treat myself to the book.

Peter

Guest Simon Bull

I had thought that the 14th Battalion were the Birmingham Pals, but Peter's reference to the 15th Battalion has given me some doubts. It may be that both Battalion's were Birmingham Pals.

If the 14th Battalion were indeed part of the Birmingham Pals, I would be interested in any information which you might have about a Herbert William Bailey, killed on 3 September 1916 who was a member of the 14th Battalion. I am studying the War Memorials at the two Harrowdens in Northamptonshire and his parents are buried in the churchyard at Great Harrowdens underneath a gravestone upon which Herbert William Bailey is mentioned, although he does not appear on the villages' Great War War Memorial.

Hi Simon,

the Birmingham Pals were 14th, 15th and 16th Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Terry Carter is the unrivalled expert on these fine units - but I have a collection of books on them as my great grandfather died serving with the 14th in 1916 - as below.

3rd Sept 1916 was the fateful attack on Falfemont Farm...contact me direct and I think I can supply a fair bit of stuff on this attack.

Terry's outstanding book 'Birmingham Pals' for Pen and Sword is the definitive work on these men - highly recommended.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon

Much appreciated. I am off to the Somme in a couple of hours or so. When there, I always make a point of walking accross the ground which the 14th and 15th Royal Warwicks (1st & 2nd Birmingham Battalions) attacked on the evening of 22 July, 1916, towards the German line at Wood Lane (south of High Wood) with, as we know, devastating consequences.

Terry

Yes, it's a small piece of landscape fairly well burned into my mind's eye too. I was there in October 98 and can only imagine what they went through on that day.

How's your book on High Wood progressing Terry?

hello Simon

It is not progressing at all! Pen & Sword arranged for the author who did the Bazentin le Petit guide to take over. I spoke to him, perhaps, about two years ago. But I have not heard from him since.

Cheers

Terry