Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I started researching the names on the Singapore cenotaph about a year ago with a view to producing a little book on the men listed.

Although the cenotaph is in Singapore it commemorates men from what was known as the Straits Settlements -- Singapore, Penang and Malacca. The Malacca names are all on the Christ Church memorial in Malacca, but the Penang cenotaph has no names listed. I did find an article on the memorial in the Penang Cricket Club, later destroyed during bombing in WW2. It's difficult to research Penang because of lack of access to the newspapers, although I'm in London for another six weeks so hopefully the British Library will have newspapers available for order again before I leave.

The men were mostly from the UK, France, a few from Australia and a few were born in the Straits Settlements. Two were Eurasians with possibly a third. Some of the Frenchmen were priests. I've hit a dead-end with a few of the names so I may be back in this thread asking for help.

The National Heritage Board of Singapore has given me some financial support, which is very welcome but of course in return it requires quantitative outcomes and reporting. For this reason I'd appreciate likes for the Facebook page and followers on Twitter -- the links are on the website www.forgotten-names.recalled.org or www.forgotten-names-recalled.com

The website will eventually have downloadable pdfs on each man since the purpose is to share the information and hopefully find more information as time goes on.

I'll start blogging soon and give updates via Twitter.

Thanks

Rosemary Lim

My son transcribed the Straits Times lists of volunteers from Aug and Sept 1915. It makes for easier searches.

I'll attach the 1917 Malay Mail list when I've reduced the size of the file. It isn't transcribed and doesn't include the Straits Settlements.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Rosemary

Transcription of names Malaya Aug-Sep 1915.doc