Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Battalion London Regiment

basiloxford

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if someone can help me with the war diary entry for the 22nd Battalion, London Regiment, for July 1917. I'm particularly interested in the period around the 23rd of July, when it appears that the man that I'm interested in (Pte Frank Horwood), was supposedly killed by a shell burst.

Help anyone?

Barry.

Hello Bernard,

Thank you for the reply.

Annoyingly, I was at the National Archives just a few weeks ago, and that particular war diary was unavailable for some reason.

Many thanks,

Barry.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

When my father was researching his father's WW1 war record (Percy Frederick Charles Bell served in the 22nd County of London Regiment) he was told at the National Army Museum that a great deal of records were destroyed during the WW2 London Blitz and anything that might be available would be in the Public Records Office at Kew. So it is disappointing to read your 15/2/14 post Barry, as it confirms Dad's expectation that there would be very little extra detail of Fred Bell's time in the army.

kind regards,

Steve

Some of the later London Regiment battalions are a bit of an unknown.  However, "Discovery"-the National Archives search engine  does list the following brigade war diaries- which should answer your questions.  May I ask if it was one of these that was listed as missing in 2014- it is just possible that it was not lost  but "unavailable" (there is a difference) at that time because it had been sent for digitisation.  In theory, it might be on Ancestry but it is best to seacrh on the 4 figure reference in the National Archive listing, along with other details- and to search on 1/22 rather than 22. 

Just checked-it is not listed as missing-and seems to have been digitised-If all else fails, then the most you can lose is £3.50 to pay for the War Diary 1/22 London, as part of 142 Infantry Brigade, for 1.July 1917 onwards.

Good hunting

Edited by Guest

• Admin
12 hours ago, SCDBell said:

Hi,

When my father was researching his father's WW1 war record (Percy Frederick Charles Bell served in the 22nd County of London Regiment) he was told at the National Army Museum that a great deal of records were destroyed during the WW2 London Blitz and anything that might be available would be in the Public Records Office at Kew. So it is disappointing to read your 15/2/14 post Barry, as it confirms Dad's expectation that there would be very little extra detail of Fred Bell's time in the army.

kind regards,

Steve

More records are being released, digitised and made available online, many since 2014.  However as far as the war diaries are concerned only those for the Western Front and Gallipoli are on Ancestry or available for digital down load from TNA.  Percy Frederick Charles Bell served as Private  4768/682131 in the 2/22 London Regiment, the ‘second line’ Battalion.  He landed in France on 25th June 1916 with the main body of the Battalion where they remained until 14th December 1916.  They then went to Salonika until June 1917 when the Battalion was posted to Egypt and that theatre.

War Diary for France digital download http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355292

War Diary for Salonika not digitised http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4558082

War diary for Egypt Palestine and Syria not digitised  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557824

For completeness though Pte Bell seems to have been disembodied  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557866

On Find My Past There is a record for enlistment in the TF on its formation in April 1908 when he was aged sixteen years, not much there nice letter from his mum Edith giving her consent as he was not seventeen.  He was discharged April 1910.

It appears he re-enlisted in the 22nd shortly after War was declared in August 1914.

Ken

13 hours ago, kenf48 said:

However as far as the war diaries are concerned only those for the Western Front and Gallipoli are on Ancestry or available for digital down load from TNA.

Not quite true: war diaries for the Mesopotamian and East African theatres of war have also been digitised and are available on Discovery (but not Ancestry).

• Admin
5 hours ago, David_Underdown said:

Not quite true: war diaries for the Mesopotamian and East African theatres of war have also been digitised and are available on Discovery (but not Ancestry).

Thank you for the reminder David, though it doesn't help as far as the 2/22 London is concerned.

Ken

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2018 at 23:37, kenf48 said:

More records are being released, digitised and made available online, many since 2014.  However as far as the war diaries are concerned only those for the Western Front and Gallipoli are on Ancestry or available for digital down load from TNA.  Percy Frederick Charles Bell served as Private  4768/682131 in the 2/22 London Regiment, the ‘second line’ Battalion.  He landed in France on 25th June 1916 with the main body of the Battalion where they remained until 14th December 1916.  They then went to Salonika until June 1917 when the Battalion was posted to Egypt and that theatre.

War Diary for France digital download http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355292

War Diary for Salonika not digitised http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4558082

War diary for Egypt Palestine and Syria not digitised  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557824

For completeness though Pte Bell seems to have been disembodied  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557866

On Find My Past There is a record for enlistment in the TF on its formation in April 1908 when he was aged sixteen years, not much there nice letter from his mum Edith giving her consent as he was not seventeen.  He was discharged April 1910.

It appears he re-enlisted in the 22nd shortly after War was declared in August 1914.

Ken

Thanks Ken, this is really interesting. I have only today logged back into the site as have been re-reading my other grandfather's record of his recruitment and training for The Royal Warwickshire's. Very grateful to find that you have taken the trouble to find and post this information and am now inspired to try and find out more. I am puzzled by the term 'disembodied' though. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Steve

It was just the official terminilogy used: at the outbreak of war the Territorial Force was "embodied" (by royal proclamation), that was the term used in the relevant legislation for calling-up the TF for war service; at the end of the war they were dis-embodied.  For other sections of the armed forces the probably more familiar demobilised (or demobbed) was used instead.

Thanks David for the explanation of the term. Much appreciated.

• Admin

Thank you David.

Steve, Apologies on rereading the original post  I seem to have left out the date he was ‘disembodied’ or ceased to be on active service which appears to be (spookily) 28/2/1919 or 101 years to the day!   It might have made more sense then.

Ken 

99 years even...