Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cypher "FR" Question on Kar. 98.

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

OK, I should know this, but getting old and forgetting a lot these days. Found a 1910 Kar98 in the attic and in lieu of the Crown/W it has a Crown/FR. Is that Friedrich II of Baden?

Photo below with that from a Faschinenmesser .

Thanks for Looking!
- Mike

post-23621-0-34746600-1391992179_thumb.j

post-23621-0-78732700-1391992192_thumb.j

Not one that I've seen before, although I guess it could be for Frederick II of Baden, and the one on the Faschinenmesser for his father who was also Frederick of Baden.

How about it's not even a cypher but an inspection mark or 'proof' which are often seen crowned above fraktur letters. The cyphers usually have a date attached to them.

Cheers, S>S

Hi Mike,

Interesting rifle. Any chance of some more detail such as the maker on the receiver? Having done a little preliminary research I can't find anything definite. More detail may help.

Regards,

Michael.

I guess another point against the illustrated markings being a Royal Cypher for Baden would be that those shown would be covering 2 separate reigns in that state (both by Frederick)

If we are assuming the markings in the photos are identical, then it would be hard to understand why 2 different rulers would have the exact same cypher over such a prolonged period.

See the Faschinenmesser is obviously from a much earlier period than the Kar98 shown of 1910, while the reign for Frederick I was 1858-1907 and for Frederick II between 1907-1918.

Cheers, S>S

OK so I obviously don't think the marking is a cypher ... but here is some more supporting information for the marking being an inspection mark of some kind.

These photos from the Pickelhaube website show a Bavarian cyphered M1892 Artillerie Seitengewehr which appears to have this mark on the guard & spine.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-06482000-1392069580_thumb.jpost-52604-0-97503500-1392069593_thumb.j

All points taken! Will try to get some more photos to show. It is an Erfurt mfg., all matching except for the bolt which matches itself. Has not been through a refurb, IMHO. The mark may well be an inspection mark...., however, it is completely devoid of any of the usual Crown/W Wilhelm markings and it is a larger font than most of the inspection stamps. So, even if it is an inspection stamp, what happened to the Kaiser's mark. If it were wartime I might understand it being overlooked during the rush. But 1910...! Why the inspector may have been banished to Hesse!! :w00t:

Best regards!

- Mike

It is an Erfurt mfg., all matching except for the bolt which matches itself.

So, even if it is an inspection stamp, what happened to the Kaiser's mark.

Best regards!

- Mike

That's a classic Mike ... "all matching except for the bolt which matches itself" ... haha, I love it.!! :lol:

So its a 1910 Erfurt without a Kaiser's mark, how about 'export' then.? Or a replacement stock fitted later.?

Cheers, S>S

Mike, given your stated production date of 1910, you must have a Karabiner 98AZ version. Does your rifle have the grasping grooves cut into the forestock.?

Cheers, S>S

Hi SS!

Will try to get some pics, but no, no grasping grooves, everything looks correct for the '10 production date. I've had similar marked examples, the last one was a Bavarian marked Kar.98. Instead of the Crown/W it had the Crown/L. Unfortunately I parted with it quite a while ago. One of those you wish you had back.

Best regards!

- Mike