Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Hospital ID, long shot

TEW

Bit of a long shot I know but perhaps someone may be able to say if this image taken from Arthur Hurst's 'War Neuroses' film was taken at Netly Hospital. Eliminating Netley as a contender would be of significant help. From what I can find out the urban background makes it unlikely to be Netley but equally it's definitely not Seale Hayne. I see 3 possible industrial chimneys, a church and another prominent structure which may be a water tower and/or have a cross on the top.

Having just checked old-maps and streetview etc the view is certainly not Netley, also checked Maudsley & Maghull and don't think it's those either.

If you'd like to see this section of film it is at 03m:59s at:

FILM

Thanks
TEW

onroof.jpg

This is probably the most famous of WW1 hospital roofs, but I'm not convinced it's the right one - this is King George Hospital, Stamford Street, London.

Sue

post-416-0-67042200-1391960797_thumb.jpg

I think King George's Hospital must have been the building where I had temporary offices in the 1980s. Certainly we were in Stamford Street, and some of the rooms were very large, with wide doors - to facilitate the movement of hospital beds and trolleys bearing wounded soldiers. There was a story that the building was linked to Waterloo Station by a tunnel - so wounded soldiers could be conveyed away from the public gaze,

Moonraker

Thanks for the possible ID, It certainly looks good from the general skyline. Will have to spend time looking on old-maps and see if I can find the church & tower structure. I did a google image search for King George Hospital and ended up viewing images of Beaufort Hosp Bristol which has a very similar looking tower but don't think that's right either.

Looking odd that the Netley/Seale Hayne film seems to show another location, hospital or otherwise.

Thanks

TEW

If the hospital is in the uK, then my "feel" is London, more Stepney way, East End, but that form of telegraph pole looks unlike a UK one.... Rouen?

Well, I've had a good look around Stamford Street on Old-Maps and pretty sure my image is not from King George's. The only substantial church nearby is St John's to the south and it looks nothing like the one in my OP.

It was an assumption that it was taken at a Hospital as it is one of Hurst's' before and after' treatment films. The preceeding clip is the same man definitely at Seale Hayne, I have been in the room. Then the roof clip followed by another definite outside Seale Hayne clip.

One would think it should be local but certainly not Newton Abbot and Exeter would'nt have the industrial look. Plymouth is about the only possibility I can think of in Devon.

Thanks anyway

TEW

• Admin

Have to say my first thought was the Beaufort War Hospital in Bristol, the tower is very similar

Michelle