Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet

rickpreston@nasuwt.net

I have never looked at the provedence of weapons and know very little about who made them, the meaning of various marking on them or when they were issued etc.

A friend owns a bayonet and scabarth. The blade is about 42cm long and just above the handle there are marking on each side

Side 1 907

o '15

Side 2 * ( * looks like a pagoda type shape punched into the metal)

3 or5 8 ( the * seems to have a flat top on the top o)

D EF? ( It looks like a D but it could be a coffe pot like structure. There is an arrow above the EF?)

the configureation of numbers and letter are in the position thatI have indicated.

If any body can indicate t what these marking are I would be most interested to know.

Thanks for looking at this entry

Richard

Greetings Richard,

Sounds like a Pattern 1907 Bayonet (P1907), see here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205475&hl=%2Benfield+%2B1907 and search this forum with "1907" or just Google P1907 and you should find a bunch to compare with.

Regards,

Lance

Lance

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Once I had found the site on Google all became clear and interpretation became quite easy.

thanks again

Richard

Check for markings on the back of the scabbard, on the left-hand side of the seam. You might find the maker and the year the scabbard was made. There might also be markings on the right side of the seam. The metal throat (top piece) and metal chape (bottom piece) of the scabbard might also have manufacture's marks. Also, it would be nice to know if the scabbard is frogstud is round or tear-drop/almond shaped. And, does the bayonet pommel have a 'cleaning hole' or not?

A photograph aside, all these details are of interest and useful for those obsessed with P 1907 bayonets!

P1907 from 1915, should have another number next to 0 to indicate the month, 3 or 58 over other stuff is inspectors mark & arrow above the EFD is brit acceptance mark, should have an X on same side as inspectors mark for bend test.

Here is an Enfield (EFD) made P1907 from july 1909, would have originally had a hooked quilliion, this 1 was naval issue (large N) & came with a scabbard marked N to throat.

As Trajan says, pics would be nice for us poor lost souls that are inflicted with the bayonet bug ;)

20131206_1321381.jpg

20131206_1321481.jpg

20131206_1322211.jpg

Cheers,

Aleck

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for looking at this entry

Richard

Just out of interest, Richard, what is the month on this one - i.e., 01, 01 - 09 or whatever? Also, does it have a clearance hole in the pommel? These were introduced in January 1916 (Skennerton and Richardson p. 400) and it is always interesting to the 1907 collectors to see how many pre 1916 bayonets were actually coverted to this specification - none of mine were.

• 2 months later...

Thank you all. I am sorry I did not respond earlier but I have had computer problems .