Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun corps reg no 66845 - message for Ian

Guest theresa_russell

Guest theresa_russell

I am researching my family history (isn't everybody!) and i was interested in further information regarding my greatgrandfather Herbert Fairy. He fought in WWI and was discharged 25.10.1918 on his medal card it says P329 XVI KR 2 B1 W. Does this make any sense to anybody?

Regiment no 66845

Thanks

Theresa

He fought in WWI and was discharged 25.10.1918  on his medal card it says P329 XVI  KR 2 B1 W.  Does this make any sense to anybody?

Theresa,

The link below to the 'Mother Site' gives the meaning behind these codes.

Discharged under King's Regulations

It would seem that your Great Grandfather was discharged as "No longer physically fit for service". As you say this reference appears on his medal card (Medal Index Card?) it would appear that he entered a Theatre of War, otherwise he would not be entitled to any medals. His discharge could therefore be the result of wounds received, though equally from a medical condition. If he was awarded a (Silver) War Badge the relevant Roll would indicate whether it was wounds or sickness.

Regards

Steve

Guest theresa_russell

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Is there any other information i could get on my great grandfather - are you able to get any other information to confirm it is him?

He lost a leg in the war at a grand old age of 17!

Thanks again

Theresa :rolleyes:

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Is there any other information i could get on my great grandfather - are you able to get any other information to confirm it is him?

He lost a leg in the war at a grand old age of 17!

Thanks again

Theresa :rolleyes:

Was it his left leg? (There is a reason for asking this)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Well somewhere in my collection I have a photograph of 2 soldiers, one has his arm in a sling and the other is missing his left leg and using crutches and the photo is annotated 'Pte Fairy and Pte Mason'. Both are wearing MGC badges on their caps, which is why I bought it in the first place.

What a small world it is!

Ian

Kia Ora from New Zealand

The world is getting smaller Ian - Herbert Fairey /Fairy is amongst my Great gran's family tree (she came to NZ in 1878!) I have about 900 of our Fairy family in my tree. I am in contact with Theresa - any chance you could send a copy of the photo?

What a wonderful surprise!

Regards

Marlene

Guest theresa_russell

What a small world it is!

Is it possible to add photos to these messages. I have a photo of Herbert in about 1918 and a photo when he is alot older showing his missing leg!!

Theresa

post-1-1096972875.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interesting - photo taken when he served with the Lincolnshire Regiment. Must have enlisted or been called up into this regiment before being transferred into the Machine Gun Corps.

I will certainly have a look for the photo - I do howver have over 6,500 and so it won't necessarily be a case of just opening an album. Please bear with me.

Ian

Theresa,

You probably know all you will from the Rolls. The only extras the War Badge Roll will give you are his dates of enlistment and discharge, age on discharge, confirmation on the reason for discharge (wounds or sickness etc.) and whether he served overseas. You have a 1 in 3 chance of finding his service papersat the National Archives which will tell you a lot more.

Regards

Steve

Theresa,

You have a 1 in 3 chance of finding his service papersat the National Archives which will tell you a lot more.

Regards

Steve

I am afraid that the chances of finding ex-Machine Gun Corps Service Records are a lot lower than that, probably more like a 1 in 6 or 7 chance.

Steve

my greatgrandfather Herbert Fairy. He fought in WWI and was discharged 25.10.1918 on his medal card it says P329 XVI KR 2 B1 W.

Regiment no 66845

Thanks

Theresa

Hi

What list number (page number) does the Medal Index Card give for his Silver War Badge as there is a 1 in 3 chance that I may have a copy of the relevant War Badge roll somewhere in my files.

Steve

Guest theresa_russell

the roll number for MGC /101 B46 page number for his silver war badge is either 3923 or 3423 - hard to decifer the writing.

Thanks for your help

Theresa

the roll number for MGC /101 B46 page number for his silver war badge is either 3923 or 3423 - hard to decifer the writing.

Thanks for your help

Theresa

Hi Theresa,

Sorry but that reference is just for the War & Victory Medal Roll and not the List for his Silver War Badge. His War & Victory Medals details can be found at the PRO/NA in WO 329 / 1746 on either page 3423 or page 3923 ( he is near the back of this roll as WO 329 / 1746 covers MGC men with service numbers from 61538 to 66918). There should be on the Medal Index Card another reference that states something like :- SWB List (or just List) MGC/905 etc. Note that MGC War Badge Rolls only go up as high as page number 1246.

Steve

Guest theresa_russell

Hi Steve,

just had another look and it says List MGC /466

Hope this is what you need

Thanks again for your help

Theresa

Hi Theresa

I see that you have now been given the silver war badge information by patesian on another of your threads about Pte Fairy.

Steve

• 1 month later...
Guest theresa_russell

This is a photo of the wounded soldiers, i think just from Machine Gunners Corp - dated approx 1918. Herbert Fairey is on the back row - stood on his own with the crutches.

Is this the Pte Fairey which you have a photo of?

post-1-1100303951.jpg