Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 Iron Cross 1st class

roypaule

Hi All,

There's a listing on eBay (Item# 161216668195) for an Iron Cross 1st Class. I'm really interested to purchase but I have to make sure that it's not a reproduction. I will appreciate your candid impressions.

Cheers

Roy

better sometimes to buy off a dealer to be on the safe side esp with German medals

The maker mark is for KO Königliches Münzamt Orden, Berlin, though I don't know if they made a brass core version, but the iron core version by them has very different form to the letters/numbers and the beading is also quite different.

Hi Roy

As a long time German collector, I would most definitely pass. Not to say it's not period, but to be perfectly honest, the odds are against you. I agree with Coldstreamer, that a recognised dealer is a much safer bet. "Kreigsmarine" brass core EK's are at best, private purchase items. Remember, it's an "Iron" cross.

In WW2 the LDO (the German Gov department responsible for medals) came down hard when a few firms started to make brass core EK's for the secondary market.

Just my opinion, but it's a lot of money to spend on a 'maybe'.

Chipper

Also opinions on authenticity of items on auction sites has become "verboten" around these parts recently.

For what it's worth, my opinion is to pass and visit a German dealer for a better condition cross for the same price.

Dave.

Of all the medals and awards currently available the German stuff is the most faked. (Particularly Nazi Stuff)

In my humble opinion the advice already given is sound - better to be safe than sorry.

Go to a recognised dealler, you might have to pay the market price but you should get the real deal.