Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

reburial John Roberton Thomson

charlotte cardoen-descamps

I would like to inform you of the fact that John Roberton Thomson,who died on October 4th, 1917 nearby a hamlet called "Moleraarelst" in Zonnebeke, will be reburied on Polygoon Wood Cemetery on October 21st.

John Roberton Thomson was a soldier in the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders. On September 9th, 1998 his remains were found while digging in a garden. His remains have been identified by his badge and the initials "J.R.T. on his pocketknife. D.N.A research of familymembers confirmed that it concerns J. R. Thomson. Two more soldiers, whose remains were found at the same occasion, will remain unknown.

On October 21st, at 11 a.m., J. R Thomson will be reburied on Polygoon Wood Cemetery accompagnied by a detachment of the Highlanders and in the presence of famlily members .

Please be aware of the fact that the road to Polygoon Wood Cemetery will be blocked off. There will be busses commuting between the centre of Zonnebeke and the cemetery on regular times

Charlotte

Charlotte

Thanks for sharinf this lovely news with us.

I can't find JRT on CWGC anywhere. Any Pals have any ideas?

SN

Stephen,

He is mentioned on the CWGC records :

John Robertson Thompson (Mind you, Robertson, not Roberton)

Fallen 4 Oct 1917

2/Gordon highlanders

Age 26

Husband of Annie Thomson, of 13, Auchterderran Road, Lochgelly, Fife

Tyne Cot Cem. Memorial

Aurel

Ian,

I know that a couple of years ago DNA samples have been taken of skeletons of Canadian soldiers, found in Passchendaele. The intention was to match the results with the results of DNA samples taken of relatives of the 56 missing soldiers of that day, of that regiment . However it didn't work out as the research did not manage to work the samples up to 16 levels and the 6 levels they did manage to get, could match hundreds of thousands of people.

Charlotte

Charlotte,

Thanks for sharing this. I recognised the name immediately. Thomson was born in Cowdenbeath, Fife and enlisted in Milnathort. At the time of his death - as Aurel mentions - he lived in Lochgelly - my home town.

He was a member of Lochgelly Bowling Club and his name appears on the small club memorial bearing the names of the six members who fell. I posted a photograph of this only a few weeks ago.

I'm currently bar convenor of LBC and will be sure to pass this information on the members.

I'm absolutely stunned. I'll dig through the local press and see if I can find a copy photograph.

Derek

Here's a photograph of the Lochgelly Bowling Club Memorial.

Thomson's unit appears to read C.H. - Cameron Highlanders. When the Memorial was refurbished a few years ago several of the original lead letters were missing. These were repainted and unfortunately the restorer mistook a G. for a C. I'm in the process of having this corrected - this also applies to Pte. John Rodger.

Derek

post-4-1096916777.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Private John Robertson (2/Gordon Highlanders, fallen 4 Oct 1917 between Zonnebeke and Beselare) was reburied today at Polygon Wood Cemetery near Ypres.

Apart from the military and civilian authorities approx. 250-300 people attended the reburial.

I suppose that Forum members will appreciate a handful of photos.

(7 or 8 is not too much, Chris ?)

post-4-1098363659.jpg

Eighth and last one

(Should any Forum member want one or more of these photos in the original somewhat larger format, contact me off Forum.)

Aurel

post-4-1098364460.jpg

Thanks Aurel and Charlotte. A couple of questions Aurel: It appears from your last photo that the coffin lid is scratched badly. Can you confirm ? Also, what happened to the Union Flag? was it presented to a member of the family ?

Mick

It was the last photo when I was looking. It is now second to last

Edited by Michael

Mick,

No, the lid certainly is not scratched. What you see is the earth that was strewn on it during the ceremony, and afterwards by some of the people (relatives ?) who had attended.

Sorry I can't answer your other question about the Union Jack. It was ceremoniously folded, I remember, and took a photo of the folding (not on the Forum), but actually I don't remember whether it was presented to the family or not. (There was a large crowd, the light was very unfavourable - too bright sunshine and to many contrasting shadows - and it was not easy for me to get to the right places at the right moment to take the photos, so I missed some things. Such as the piper, the last post, etc. Maybe the presenting of the Union Jack too ?)

Maybe Jacky or Charlotte (or other members), who were there too, can confirm ?

Aurel

Indeed the flag was presented to the family.

Afterwards the family was also presented the cap badge, the part of the knife, spoon or fork were the name J R T was scratched in which eventually led to the indentification and a cleaning brush.

Jacky

Aurel

Thank you for showing the photographs. It is very comforting to know that another soldier has been identified and given the burial service that he should have received so many years ago.

Regards

Myrtle

Thanks for showing these photos.

I hope one day my great uncles will have a chance to come in from the cold.

RIP John Robertson Thompson

It was a very touching burial. A honour for me to be there.

I thank the family, The Highlanders and the CWGC to let me be there.

John Thomson is a good example of how we may not forget.

Finaly you got your proper grave lads. You and your 2 comrades who stay unknown.

Alba gu brath!

We will remember them.