Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Galway pair and Plaque split.

museumtom

A local boot fair stall holder had a plaque and a pair to the Leinster casualty from Portumna in Galway for the past six months. Bob dillons were scarce so they did not sell. This morning I seen just the medals and the stall holder said he sold the plaque on its own. The lad who bought it just wanted a plaque and was not interested in the medals. I explained to him that its quite possible that the medals and the plaque may NEVER be reunited. I could not give him a hard time over it. He was only trying to put a crust on the table and was ignorant of the importance of his deed. With the blessing of herself I purchased the medals and found the lad who bought the plaque. I said he only wanted a plaque, it did not matter what name was on it. I said I will give him a Widows Penny in a marble plaque and the kings letter that accompanied it for a trade. He said we would meet next week and he would have a look and maybe we could deal.

Fingers crossed lads an lassies.

Cheers.

Tom.

Thanks Tom

I was a bit concerned when I heard you had a Memorial Plaque mounted on marble with the King's Letter. This is because nasty faked examples turned up a couple of years ago named to Ernest Edward Smith. The example I have seen was good enough to catch out a Dealer friend when he purchased it from a supposed family member!

North East Medals also came across one of these plaques and they cut it in half to check the construction. Please see here:-
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/fake_memorial_plaque/death.htm
Just be aware in case the "B....rd" forgers have also produced similar plaques in other names.

Sepoy

Thanks Sepoy, I will do that.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello Tom,

Nice gesture!

I thought that if a man was KIA he did not receive medals, however, looking at the Medal Card of 7250 James Flynn it appears he was awarded the trio as well as a plaque.

The problem is, his family are convinced he only received a plaque.

Any ideas?

Ken

Sorry Ken, I can shed no light on it for you.

Tom.

Ken. The issue of WW1 medals was stopped in the mid 1980s, you could try joining a medal research society and posting there with your mans details asking if anyone has ever come across him or his medals. Ralph

A local boot fair stall holder had a plaque and a pair to the Leinster casualty from Portumna in Galway for the past six months. Bob dillons were scarce so they did not sell. This morning I seen just the medals and the stall holder said he sold the plaque on its own. The lad who bought it just wanted a plaque and was not interested in the medals. I explained to him that its quite possible that the medals and the plaque may NEVER be reunited. I could not give him a hard time over it. He was only trying to put a crust on the table and was ignorant of the importance of his deed. With the blessing of herself I purchased the medals and found the lad who bought the plaque. I said he only wanted a plaque, it did not matter what name was on it. I said I will give him a Widows Penny in a marble plaque and the kings letter that accompanied it for a trade. He said we would meet next week and he would have a look and maybe we could deal.

Fingers crossed lads an lassies.

Cheers.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

As a Galwayman I wish you the best of luck with the reunite, I have been a collector of bit n bobs to galwaymen for many a year and have never come across a complete group in my years of collecting, I really hope you can keep the group together.

Regards,

M.

I'll do my best Murrough. My people come from Camus, Meelick.

Cheers.

Tom.

So in I goes to the boot sale with me few plaques, and holders, and envelopes to see if he will trade. At the end of it all 'he will think about it." It is now in the lap of the Gods lads and lassies.

Cheers.

Tom.

So today I head to the boot sale and meet yer man, are you ready for this? " I didn't get a chance to think about it" says he. I said "I wont bother you with this anymore, it's not fair on you, just let me know when you have decided what to do." 'Right so says he.'

Its just as well I don't stress easy. Deep breaths...