Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli visit

bluedog

Pals

I am deeply into the planning stages of my next Gallipoli visit, the

last being 2001.

I hope to be arriving Canakkale on April 8th. and leaving on May 6th.

Last trip I had 10 days on the Peninsula and crawled all over Anzac

and did a pretty good walk over the Brit's landing sites at Helles and the French at Morto bay.

However time did not allow me to visit Hill 971 or Hill 60 or Suvla.

Does any forum member have some photos or websites that I can

visit to get a overview of Suvla before I go?

This trip will be on my own again, thanks to the wife, who says that she will have

peace and quiet for a month and will be able to get near the computer.

Peter

You will find that Hill 971 itself is not that exciting, apart from the excellent viewing point, though the slopes may yield more of interest. You will find that Hill Q is worthy of investigation and if your legs can stand the scratchy scrub you will find the remains of the 1915 trench system.

The areas between Hill 60 and Hill 971 and Chunuk Bair are fascinating and an area that I am beginning to explore bit by bit. A good starting point might be to consider the stretch through Taylor's Gap (the Taylor & Cupper Guide outlines this short walk through to Hill 60) and from this you can easily grasp how the 4th Australian Brigade got lost, indeed you may find you follow in their tracks. Hill 90 & Hill 100 can be reached, I understand, if you work out where you are going.

Another interesting walk is to try and go from the track leading south from The Farm Cemetery across via Table Top and the various Outposts down to the coast. Again this is tough going and you may not find the trenches below the scrub until you descend into them. You have been warned!

On the Suvla front the Kiretch Tepe Ridge is worthy of exploration. Again it is not straightforward to work out where you are and the scrub, once again, makes it tough walking (get a good pair of gaiters). It is also an area where goats are herded and the accompanying dogs can be very ferocious, though herdsmen will generally assist your passage (and do appreciate the odd packet of rich tea biscuits).

The harbour bays at Suvla repay careful investigation with a plan of the works (from the British Official History) but there is virtually nothing to see of the once extensive base buildings. If you are an able swimmer you will doubtless want to try snorkelling in this area.

The Cut reveals very little these days, though the remains of a lighter have been exposed nearby. Nibrunesi point will also reveal signs of having been a dump at one point.

If you want further background feel free to contact me off forum.

Martin

Envious Peter, very envious. My last visit was 2002 and want to get back there again in the next few years.

You might want to contact Bryn Dolan who has the Anzac Officers website. He spent quite a bit of time there recently. I think he went out to Hill 60 and that area.

Cheers

Andrew