Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medals and MID

tjp28blue

Hello,

Grateful for help. I am researching a Major B H Barrington-Kennett who was killed in WW1. He was with the Grenadier Guards attached to the RFC, but returned to his regiment in early 1915 and was killed in action 15th May of the same year. He was mentioned in dispatches, most probably during the action in which he was killed. I would like to show his medals ( a constructed image of the 1914-15 star, British Medal and Victory Medal) as part of our village commemoration of the beginning of WW1.

I believe that an oak leaf clasp is awarded to MID recipients and I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if this is worn on a medal ribbon and if so which medal and should the leaf be pointing up or down.

Many thanks and regards,

TJP

Hello,

Grateful for help. I am researching a Major B H Barrington kennett of the Grenadier Guards originally attached to the RFC but returned to his regiment in early 1915. He was killed in action on 15th May of the same year. He was mentioned in despatches probably for bravery during the action in which he was killed. I would like to display an image of his medal cluster (digital copy of the 19145-15 star, British Medal and Victory Medal) in a village exhibition to commemorate the beginning of WW1.

Could anyone tell me if the oak leaf clasp of MID recipients should be displayed on a medal ribbon and if so which on. Also should it be pointing upwards or downwards.

Many thanks and regards,

TJP

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for your replies, my problem is now solved and I am grateful for your interest.

Regards,

TJP

It looks like he was also one of the King's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms: here is the gazetting of his replacement: http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13460/pages/2076/page.pdf. He was appointed in 1895 - http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/10670/pages/775/page.pdf

Michael

you may need to check he wasn't due medals for the Boer war as well

Michael,

Thank you for drawing my attention to the notice in the Edinburgh Gazette. The notice actually refers to Major Basil Herbert Barrington-Kennett's father who was Lt Colonel Brackley B-K who indeed was one of the King's Body Guard until his death. He fought in Afghanistan and India. Although Basil joined the Grenadier Guards for most of his early military career he was attached to the RFC and became one of their first (Licence No 43) and best pilots. His flying career seems to have been halted by his appointment as the first adjutant of the RFC, a position he held as he and the RFC made their way to France. In early 1915 when things weren't going too well for the British Army, he returned to his old regiment only to be killed on 18th May 1915 leading his men in an attack on an enemy machine gun post. He was mentioned in despatches.

Regards,

TJP

i need help traceing a family member of a medal the 1914/15 mons star i pick it up in a secondhand shop years ago the name on the back is SPR J O CONNELL NO 35359 R.E.

It would be nice to send it to a the family member after all these years Regards francis moloney