Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal available to British expats - help please

caymia

Hi everyone

I heard on the radio yesterday that British expats serving in the Great War were eligible for a medal awarded by king George V.
Apparently it can be claimed by next of kin.

This would apply to my great uncle and I'd like to follow this up. Does anyone know any more about this medal? Does it have a name? Do you know how to apply for it and who to approach? I've looked online but I'm drawing a blank!

Many thanks :)

I think they probably referred to the british war medal or victory medal. Claims for those stopped in the 1980s - and you could only claim replacements or for returned originals.

Does your relative have a medal card on ancestry?

Regards

Ian

I have no idea on the medal card. I'm not up on this stuff :blush: How do I find out more about this?

I re-listened to the programme and the guy said he got them recently. It was 2 medals and he got them through the Canadian consulate I think. I emailed them too, you never know :)

If you are happy to tell us everything you know about your Great Uncles military service I'm sure we can help. I'm fairly certain that you wouldn't be able to claim World war One medals though.

Caymia

Posting his name and Regiment details here may help :-)

Edit: Pipped to the post by auchonvillers

Happy to share his info :)

His name was William Edward Morgan (British). Joined the Canadian army 6/12/1915, service number 654065, 161st battalion. Transferred to the 43rd Canadian battalion 21/12/1917, the day he left for France. Died 17/8/18. Buried at Boves.
Is this enough info? I can expand if needed.

Thanks for your help guys :)

BTW Heritage Plus, he was in a band, his diary is full of band practice comments :)

They are obviously the British War and Victory Medals given these dates. British recipients ceased receiving/applying for them as said back in the late 1980s. Perhaps the Canadian authorities still issue them on proof of being related to the subject. Ralph.

William

with the 43rd Battalion

He was taking part in the attack on Damery Wood on the 16th August 1918

he was wounded in the right knee and was taken to No 49 Casualty Clearing Station

where he died the next day of his wounds 17/8/1918

regards Ray

About 10 years ago I applied for these records. Most of the info went over my head, but I also learned a lot too. Thanks for pointing it out, had I not already known about it I would be jumping for joy right now :D

They are obviously the British War and Victory Medals given these dates. British recipients ceased receiving/applying for them as said back in the late 1980s. Perhaps the Canadian authorities still issue them on proof of being related to the subject. Ralph.

Veterans Affairs Canada.Ottawa Canada, can help possibly.

I will follow this up, thanks :)

William

with the 43rd Battalion

He was taking part in the attack on Damery Wood on the 16th August 1918

he was wounded in the right knee and was taken to No 49 Casualty Clearing Station

where he died the next day of his wounds 17/8/1918

regards Ray

I knew about the gun shot wound, but not the place it happened or where he was taken. I would think it's in my records somewhere but I don't recall seeing it at all. Thanks so much for this. Where did you find the info please?

Unfortunately, in keeping with the other Commonwealth countries, VAC ceased issuing First World War medals some years ago. However, it is always worth a try! All they can do is say no. Good luck!

All the best,

Gary