Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

divisional history

37th

Can anyone help me, i'm looking for a copy of "The Golden Horseshoe" this was a reference to the 37th division, (that being the divisional sign).

My great uncle 46870 rifleman Arthur William Chaple 13th KRRC, engaged with the enemy trying to cross the Banteux ravine, being kia 5/10/18 lies in Villers Hill cemetery France.

Can someone tell me how to place his name on the " Remembering today" feature?

A hundred and twenty steps a minute, phew !!!

All these men are heroes and deserve every respect.

Thanks Keith.

Hi Keith

The remembering today is one of Chris B's auto-techo-gadgetery thingy bobs (does it by itself) so I dont believe it can be 'requested' as such.

How about doing your own Rememberance & 'Posting' the details you would like to be shown on this forum? Many of us do, and that way he is remembered.

Cheers

Steve

The Golden Horseshoe is a paper cover volume of anecdotes and recollections - rather than a history as such but is an interesting read.

Is there anything specific from it that you are looking for?

Steve, thanks for the advice mate, but where do i type my details of rememberance? When it comes to PC's and the like i'm a bit on the slow side der........!

Must have details posted by 00.00hrs for this will be the anniversary of my Uncles death.

patiently waiting,

regards keith.

Hi Martin,

having not seen this publication, i'm a little unsure of it's content.

Do you have a copy? if so, would it be possible to view it ? (what nerve eh?)

Any idea as to where i could get my hands on one?

This has been bugging me for a few years now, please help if you can.

regards keith.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have just seen this request. I have a copy of this - it is a fascinating read but as Martin says it is a collection of poems anectdotes and reminiscence. No specific soldiers apart from the authors. Also very difficult to read as in delicate condition and its original "binding" is great big staples. I believe there are other copies out there have you tried a second hand book search?

• 1 month later...

Can I ask if any of the contributors to The Golden Horseshoe were 37th Battalion Machine Gun Corps members? I'm transcribing the War Diary and working on tracing the casualties for this unit at present, and would welcome any details of surviving members and their reminiscences. My grandfather Private 137351 James Holt served in the Battalion, to the armistice and subsequently in the Army of Occupation in Cologne (probably on transfer to 9th Battalion MGC).