The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards

adrianjohn

The names, reading from right to left looking at the photograph:

Front row: A H Lillington; R Beckwith; E A Bromwich; S Eaton.

Second row seated: O Shorney; G Phillips; H G Powell; Corporal H Thomas, Squad Instructor; D O Yates; C Poole; W Adams.

Third row: Td. S Osborne; F H Phipps (My Great Uncle); G Meredith; J Moss; W Ruscoe; J Pickering; J Wakelin; A Wiles; R Burgess; Td. S Hooper.

Fourth row: F Woodley; W Wade; H Lissimore; C D Usherwood; A C Vickery; F Lightowler; A C Millett; B Noble; T A Armstrong.

Fifth row: T Ogden; L J Rose; P W Braund; CB Brown; B Smalley; J Riddell.

I did a very quick scan of the CWGC website and I think that most of the squad survived the war.

I'd be interested in any feedback - especially if any of the names are familiar.

Adrian

post-6900-0-10977600-1391092858_thumb.jp

being nosey :) i found a T Ogden on Forces War Records (might not be this one) but was in Coldstream Guards SN 19391. Served from 5-2-16 to 23-5-19 SWB no: B212867 Gazette page: CG 300 Got a Gunshot Wound

Edited by stdape2011

PW Braund entitled to (and in my collection) # 19332

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Special Constabulary GV LSGC and bar 1940

appointment of L/Cpl removed for slovenly marching - might have been a war on but Guards will be Guards

PW Braund entitled to (and in my collection) # 19332

British War Medal

Victory Medal

Special Constabulary GV LSGC and bar 1940

appointment of L/Cpl removed for slovenly marching - might have been a war on but Guards will be Guards

Sorry Coldstreamer that has made me chuckle. Busted for marching that in other regiments would be a delight to the RSM!

• 4 months later...

Adrian

Quite surprised to have stumbled across this!

Alfred Henry Lillington (19328), 3rd Coldstream Guards, was my 3x great-uncle and was killed on 9th October 1917. Needless to say I would be incredibly interested in a high resolution copy of this photograph, if at all possible? My grandfather would be pleased to see this.

Thanks very much for posting.

Luke.