Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fernhill Auxilary Military Hospital Centenary Project

jemm

Hi,

I have in the past added information to the board regarding soldiers admitted and discharged to the Fernhill Auxiliary Military Hospital in Stacksteads, Lancashire.

As part of the Centenary the small museum that I volunteer for are hoping to aquire funding to turn one of our unused rooms into a diorama of one of the wards from this hospital. I already have from previous research I have done information on the nurses that worked there, and irrespective of whether we get funding or not I would like to try to trace if possible what happened to some of the soldiers that were treated, for example did they go back to the front, or pensioned off, if they did go back did they survive. What i am unsure of is... if a soldier was wounded and treated at the hospital then sent back to the front would he have received a silver war badge?

Hi Jemm

To qualify for a SWB a man had to be discharged so being returned to the front would not count. Some more info on the SWB here

Glen

Thanks Glen, i wasn't feeling very hopeful last night when i posted but decided to try and find out about one soldier who told his story to our what was local newspaper after his addmittance . He had been awarded a DCM which perhaps helped me. But im happy to say i found his swb record which then gave me his service number etc . He was Reginald Bell of the 11th Bedfordshires. He died in March 1953 so im happy to see he survived following his wounds. -:) its encouraged me to carry on my searches.

Jemm

Assuming I have fund hte same man, it looks like he started off in the 1/5th at Gallipoli. Here is his DCM citation

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29447/supplements/951

Glen

Hi Glen,

It is the same yes. He was addmitted to Fernhill in December 1915. Thankyou :)