Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whilst clearing an old barn...

WW1LLIAM

... I came across this old gun(?)

It has no firing mechanism that I can see and the inner barrel is threaded for the first two inches. It's 46" in length.

It is marked

E R Watts & Son London

it also has some 'crows' foot marks, similar to the BSA 3 rifles symbol.

Can anyone shed any light on this object.

post-106462-0-22172300-1391025596_thumb.

post-106462-0-09696500-1391025644_thumb.

post-106462-0-36620800-1391025655_thumb.

... I came across this old gun(?)

It has no firing mechanism that I can see and the inner barrel is threaded for the first two inches. It's 46" in length.

It is marked

E R Watts & Son London

it also has some 'crows' foot marks, similar to the BSA 3 rifles symbol.

Can anyone shed any light on this object.

attachicon.gifgun.jpg

attachicon.gifgun marking.JPG

attachicon.gifButt.jpg

what you have is a fencing musket, used for training soldiers with bayonets.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Fencing_musket.htm

made by E R Watts & Son London in 1915, the two broad arrow marks pointing together is the obsolete/sold out of service mark.

warm regards,

Haydn

Edit: Very very interesting item and not commonly seen! Where may I ask was it found? Wish I were that lucky ha ha.

I had noticed the missing plunger which is unfortunate, but I'd happily have one as a curiosity. A nice interesting find for a collection.

what you have is a fencing musket, used for training soldiers with bayonets.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Fencing_musket.htm

made by E R Watts & Son London in 1915, the two broad arrow marks pointing together is the obsolete/sold out of service mark.

warm regards,

Haydn

Edit: Very very interesting item and not commonly seen! Where may I ask was it found? Wish I were that lucky ha ha.

Thank you for the prompt response in identifying this object, I am near Portsmouth and rescued it from the skip. Because of your identification I have found the following information on the internet...

During October and November 1914, the War Office placed orders with five different firms for Fencing Muskets. The predominance of the orders went to W.W. Greener, Webley & Scott and C.G. Bonehill. The other two firms to receive orders were G Beaston & Sons Ltd, who defaulted on the contract without making any and E. R. Watts & Sons who were given a contract for 800 units at 50 a week on 10/11/14, they must have found it slow going as by 26/06/15 they had produced 632 and were 168 in arrears.

It is quite pitted, but according to the above it's the rarest of the fencing muskets. I have no interest in this object other than as a fascinating glimpse into the past, so am open to offers if anyone would like it.

Thank you for the prompt response in identifying this object, I am near Portsmouth and rescued it from the skip. Because of your identification I have found the following information on the internet...

During October and November 1914, the War Office placed orders with five different firms for Fencing Muskets. The predominance of the orders went to W.W. Greener, Webley & Scott and C.G. Bonehill. The other two firms to receive orders were G Beaston & Sons Ltd, who defaulted on the contract without making any and E. R. Watts & Sons who were given a contract for 800 units at 50 a week on 10/11/14, they must have found it slow going as by 26/06/15 they had produced 632 and were 168 in arrears.

It is quite pitted, but according to the above it's the rarest of the fencing muskets. I have no interest in this object other than as a fascinating glimpse into the past, so am open to offers if anyone would like it.

Hello, I'll send you a private message!

I wouldn't let it go for less than £200.

Should find the fencing muskets interesting due the connection between rifles/ bayonets & as a training tool but have passed over many of them.

Maybe its because they look like a childs toy but to be honest, they do nothing for me either :(

I've had so much response from this item that I am going to look into it further. I live fairly close to the Fort Nelson Armouries Museum in Portsmouth, so will see what they have to say on the musket, before deciding its fate.

Thank you to all contributors.

Fort Nelson may be a long shot as it is an artillery museum. No harm in asking though as they May have useful contacts.

Nigel

Glad you found my old post of a few years ago. I cannot remember which forum I posted it on.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Glad you found my old post of a few years ago. I cannot remember which forum I posted it on.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Thanks AlanD, it was the most informative thing I found.

• 3 months later...

Fort Nelson may be a long shot as it is an artillery museum. No harm in asking though as they May have useful contacts.

Nigel

Quite right. Nelson is the artillery section of the Royal Armouries. The Small Arms department is in Leeds.

Fencing muskets, especially incomplete/broken ones like then OP's are not that uncommon and do not fetch a lot. I remember an ACF unit in Acton had loads of them which they wrecked, as per the OP's, in the 1970s (IIRC) to use in place of their No.4s which had been taken away due to the PIRA terrorist threat.

Complete ones aren't that sought after.