Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

addeter

Hi there. My great grandfather, Frederick Cotton, 7472, Cpl. Lancashire Fusiliers was invalided out of service in March 1918, and awarded Silver War badge no. 351863, under section xvi of the regs. His injury was the loss of a leg below the knee. He had originally enlisted in 1899, and had, I believe, gone on reserve in 1909. He was then reactivated at the outbreak of war. I have no information as to which battalion he was in, nor anything in detail about his service, other than I believe he was in Gibraltar, Malta and Egypt during his original enlistment. Can anyone shed any light? I would like to see if the war diary for battalion(s) he was in are available, but am not sure how to figure that out.

Although his SWB record and medal index card do not say which Battalion he was in the medal rolls in Kew should do so.

I can see that getting to Kew will pose a problem for you, so perhaps a member of the Forum can do a look up for you.

Fingers crossed.

BillyH.

a

Original Medal Roll is at the National Archives in WO329/965 page 1843.

I will look in a couple of weeks and let you know what Battalion,if it is shown on the Roll.

I can already see from his Medal Card that he did not enter the war until after 1915. I can advise his War Diary for the unit he sertved on first landing but may not be able to say if he remained with that unit for the duration. As we have no dates it may not be possible to give all the service detail from the Diary.

I am so excited that you would be willing to do that for me. I have been researching all three of my great grandfathers, and a great great uncle, and of course a 8000 mile round trip to Kew to check the medal rolls for them has been out of the question. Is there any other information you might need to make it easier? What is the process for seeing the rolls? I have not been to Kew for about 20 years, still the PRO then.

a

Original Medal Roll is at the National Archives in WO329/965 page 1843.

I will look in a couple of weeks and let you know what Battalion,if it is shown on the Roll.

I can already see from his Medal Card that he did not enter the war until after 1915. I can advise his War Diary for the unit he sertved on first landing but may not be able to say if he remained with that unit for the duration. As we have no dates it may not be possible to give all the service detail from the Diary.

Thank you for the guidance, someone has offered to check the medal roll for me.

Antony

Although his SWB record and medal index card do not say which Battalion he was in the medal rolls in Kew should do so.

I can see that getting to Kew will pose a problem for you, so perhaps a member of the Forum can do a look up for you.

Fingers crossed.

BillyH.

I will do what I can to help,and see where it takes me.

Thanks so much.

I was wondering if you would be able to look up one more of my ancestors when you are at Kew? Is that too cheeky a request? Would you let me know please?

Antony

Antony

I have sent a personal message. To get it click on the open envelope at top right of the screen.

Will do, thanks

Antony

I have sent a personal message. To get it click on the open envelope at top right of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your help today at Kew. Very useful information. I am very grateful.

Antony