Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Interned in Britain

Guest p feist

My great grandfather Henry W Feist was apparently interred in a camp during WW1 because he was classed as an alien due to his surname.In fact I can trace my family line in England at least back to 1750 !Does anyone know where he would have been sent?He lived in surrey/London area.

peter feist

My great grandfather Henry W Feist was apparently interred in a camp during WW1 because he was classed as an alien due to his surname.In fact I can trace my family line in England at least back to 1750 !Does anyone know where he would have been sent?He lived in surrey/London area.

peter feist

I think you mean interned (imprisoned) not interred (buried) and you might get more response if you changed the thread title.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. What's the evidence in the family that he was interned?

Whilst it's certainly true that "enemy aliens" were interned (there was a large camp on the Isle of Man), I don't think folk with foreign sounding names were routinely rounded up - although there was something of that in areas where there were anti-foreigners riots after the sinking of the Lusitania. That "rounding up" was short-lived and was often intended not only to diffuse a violent situation but was also for the protection of those being attacked. And, of course, many men with foreign names and ancestry served in the forces.

John

If its Henry Wallace Feist (Born Wimbledon 1894), he has a couple of pages of pension records on Ancestry. Served with the 7th Bn East Surrey Regiment.

His records seem to be mixed in among a Henry Feist (Born 1894 Brighton), Royal Field Artillery).

Mick.

And I've edited the offending typo in post 3 so we should all be happy bunnies now. Needless to say, I am grateful to Magnumbellum for the humour which s/he used to draw attention to it.