Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proficiency Pay and Stoppages, Soldier's Pay Book (AB 64)

kenny3883

Hi everyone

Proficiency Pay

I have my grandfather's WW1 Pay Book (Army Book 64) which would have been issued to him on mobilization in August 1914. In addition to his one shilling a day basic pay he also received 6d a day proficiency pay. Now I know what proficiency pay was, but does anyone know exactly for which qualifications or proficiencies a soldier received such pay? He was a regular soldier between 1903-1910 after which time he was in the Reserve until mobilization. Both his "Small Book" and his Discharge Certificate in 1920 record the following attainments between 1903-1910:

3rd and 2nd Class Certificates of Education

Mounted Infantry

Signalling

Swimming

My guess is he probably got 3d a day for the MI and 3d a day for the Signalling (as opposed to 25 yards breaststroke!) But, as I say, it's just a guess. The only other thing that might be relevant is a photo (c. 1919) which shows him in uniform with a signaller badge on his lower left sleeve.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this, or does it just have to remain guesswork?

Stoppages

His AB64 also shows 9d a day "Allotment or Compulsory Stoppage". Given that he wasn't married when he went overseas in August 1914, does anyone know what this 9d "stoppage" would have been for? He did have a child 'on the way' and he did marry in November 1914, but I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Many thanks.

Ken

I believe that a soldier could have an allotment to their mother/father and other fanily members eapecially ifthey were dependant on him. This would also apply to the mother of his child but I am not sure if he could make an allottment to a fiance.

I assume he was still on the home establishment in November1914 or how did he manage to get leave from France/Flanders with First Ypres still in progress?

I believe that a soldier could have an allotment to their mother/father and other fanily members eapecially ifthey were dependant on him. This would also apply to the mother of his child but I am not sure if he could make an allottment to a fiance.

I assume he was still on the home establishment in November1914 or how did he manage to get leave from France/Flanders with First Ypres still in progress?

Hi Bill

Thank you for your response.

If he could have had an allotment made to his parents, then that would make sense. Although I'm not sure they were actually dependent on him, they were both in their mid-60s, basically 'poor' and living at his half-brother's home, so sending something back to them each week (either for them to spend or to keep for him on his return) seems quite possible.

Sending something back to his pregnant fiancee is also something I am sure he would have done if such an allotment was possible.

He managed to get leave from France thanks to a piece of German shrapnel in his lung! He was wounded at Neuve Chapelle (Battle of La Bassee) around 26th-28th October 1914 and evacuated to the 1st Eastern General Hospital, Cambridge (presumably in early November). On 30th November he was back in London and married my grandmother.

Any thoughts on the 'proficiency pay' question?

Regards.

Ken

The "Pay Warrant" for 1914 would I beleive give the various allowances. extra pay etc. I had a copy but it is on a laptop currently Hors de combat.

I am sure someone will ome along with a breakdown of proficiency pay before long

Bill

The "Pay Warrant" for 1914 would I beleive give the various allowances. extra pay etc. I had a copy but it is on a laptop currently Hors de combat.

I am sure someone will ome along with a breakdown of proficiency pay before long

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Just had a bit of a dig aroundand found this

The conditions under which service pay and proficiency pay are issued are laid down in Articles 1060 and following and in Appendix V. of the Royal Warrant for Pay of the Army, 1914. Service pay (Class I. 6d. to 7d. per day and Class II. 4d. to 5d. per day) is now being-drawn only in the case of men, serving with the Colours or in the Reserve on 4th August, 1914, who enlisted before 1st October, 1906, and have not since that date entered into a new contract by extension of service, re-engagement, transfer to another arm, etc. Such men draw this emolument, i.e., service pay, under the conditions in force at the time of their enlistment. Proficiency pay (Class I. 6d. per day, Class II. 3d. per day (is issuable to Cavalry, Artillery, and Infantry soldiers who enlisted on or after 1st October, 1906, or who, having enlisted before that date, have relinquished their service pay rights on entering on a new contract as stated above. A service qualification of two years Colour service is the only condition necessary during mobilisation for the Class II. rate (3d. per day) of proficiency pay (service on a prior engagement in the Regular Army, Royal Marines, Special Reserve, or, subject to certain conditions as to camp attendance, in the Territorial Force, may count for this qualification). To earn the Class I. rate (6d. a day) a private soldier must in addition have passed the standard test in shooting or be a qualified signaller. Non-commissioned officers of or above the rank of sergeant get Class I. rate provided they have two years' Colour service. All Reservists who have rejoined the Colours draw service or proficiency pay according to the class of service or proficiency pay they were drawing when they were transferred to the Reserve.

A quick translation seeme to be that your man recieved is profociency pay for being a signaller but could have recieved it for being a First Class shoy,

bill

Just had a bit of a dig aroundand found this

The conditions under which service pay and proficiency pay are issued are laid down in Articles 1060 and following and in Appendix V. of the Royal Warrant for Pay of the Army, 1914. Service pay (Class I. 6d. to 7d. per day and Class II. 4d. to 5d. per day) is now being-drawn only in the case of men, serving with the Colours or in the Reserve on 4th August, 1914, who enlisted before 1st October, 1906, and have not since that date entered into a new contract by extension of service, re-engagement, transfer to another arm, etc. Such men draw this emolument, i.e., service pay, under the conditions in force at the time of their enlistment. Proficiency pay (Class I. 6d. per day, Class II. 3d. per day (is issuable to Cavalry, Artillery, and Infantry soldiers who enlisted on or after 1st October, 1906, or who, having enlisted before that date, have relinquished their service pay rights on entering on a new contract as stated above. A service qualification of two years Colour service is the only condition necessary during mobilisation for the Class II. rate (3d. per day) of proficiency pay (service on a prior engagement in the Regular Army, Royal Marines, Special Reserve, or, subject to certain conditions as to camp attendance, in the Territorial Force, may count for this qualification). To earn the Class I. rate (6d. a day) a private soldier must in addition have passed the standard test in shooting or be a qualified signaller. Non-commissioned officers of or above the rank of sergeant get Class I. rate provided they have two years' Colour service. All Reservists who have rejoined the Colours draw service or proficiency pay according to the class of service or proficiency pay they were drawing when they were transferred to the Reserve.

A quick translation seeme to be that your man recieved is profociency pay for being a signaller but could have recieved it for being a First Class shoy,

bill

Hi Bill

Many thanks for your post. It took me a while to digest the ‘extract’ in it, but I think I finally understand it. Applying it to my grandfather, I think the situation was as follows:

Given that his proficiency pay was 6d a day, he was receiving the “Class I.” rate. To qualify for this rate he needed to have both a service qualification of two years Colour service and to have passed the standard test in shooting or be a qualified signaller.

As he had previously served for 7 years with the Colours between 1903-1910 he clearly met the service requirement. In addition, his “Small Book” for 1903-1910 states that he passed the class of instruction for “Telegraphy” (i.e. signalling) in 1906 and that he passed all his shooting tests between 1905-1909 (there is no entry for 1910). His “Musketry Classification” in 1909 was “Marksman”.

As he was a Reservist who rejoined the Colours on 5th August 1914, he would have drawn the same Class of proficiency pay as when he was transferred to the Reserve in December 1910. So, when he was transferred to the Reserve he was already receiving the Class I rate.

Do you agree that my interpretation is correct? If so, I think you have answered my original question!

Finally, pardon my ignorance but what does “shoy” stand for?

Regards.

Ken

I would add that a soldier of the reserve on mobilisation retained his substantive rank or good conduct badges obtaining at the time he became a reservist.

Proficiency Pay was a much better way of incentivising soldiers than the Service Pay that it replaced, although soldiers could opt to reserve their Service Pay rights.

I would add that a soldier of the reserve on mobilisation retained his substantive rank or good conduct badges obtaining at the time he became a reservist.

Proficiency Pay was a much better way of incentivising soldiers than the Service Pay that it replaced, although soldiers could opt to reserve their Service Pay rights.

Thanks Grumpy... but I guess my Grandfather maintaining his substantive rank of Private wasn't too difficult!

But, on the question of good conduct stripes, would you happen to know (if you do it would save me starting a new Topic on this at a later date!) if THREE good conduct stripes required 12 YEARS service? Everything I can find on this matter says 12 years were required, but I have a photo of my grandfather in uniform (albeit taken, i suspect, shortly before he was demobiised) which shows him with three good conduct stripes, but his Discharge Certificate in 1920 states he only served 11 years and 228 days with the Colours. Any thoughts?

Regards.

Ken

Thanks Grumpy... but I guess my Grandfather maintaining his substantive rank of Private wasn't too difficult!

But, on the question of good conduct stripes, would you happen to know (if you do it would save me starting a new Topic on this at a later date!) if THREE good conduct stripes required 12 YEARS service? Everything I can find on this matter says 12 years were required, but I have a photo of my grandfather in uniform (albeit taken, i suspect, shortly before he was demobiised) which shows him with three good conduct stripes, but his Discharge Certificate in 1920 states he only served 11 years and 228 days with the Colours. Any thoughts?

Regards.

Ken

Yes, most definitely 12 years but in the small print the Pay Warrant of 1898 made an important provision for those rejoining the colours from the Reserve (as, for example, in war): for the first time ‘regard shall be had to the entries in his regimental defaulter sheet during his service in the reserve’. The meaning is not clear, but it can be read as counting good conduct during reserve service in full.

I wrote the definitive article on the badges for the Military Historical Society, so the above is kosher.

I wrote the definitive article on the badges for the Military Historical Society, so the above is kosher.

Thanks again Grumpy. Is there by any chance an online link to your article? If not, what is the best way of accessing a copy?

Regards.

Ken

Ken

I sent the full article to your email address three days ago and have heard nothing.

Hope all OK

Hi David - article received with thanks and reply now sent to your email address.

Ken