Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th East Yorks diary

Doctord84

Just starting on a transcript of the diary of a Private Charles Johnson, who was in action around Ypres during 1916. Full of moving descriptions of the horror of the front line, A typical entry reads:

May 24th. Still in trenches. Had to go with 2 officers and 5 men to take ammunition to the Hussars and 4th Yorks Regt along a dyke, up to the body in water and mud. All lucky to get there and back safe. Covered with mud and wet through. Had to go to their support as Germans were breaking through. Hot time of it today. Thanked God when day over.

Johnson was one of three brothers in action (two in France, one in Mesopotamia). Small display planned for June and hope to get diary online as well.

Hi,

He was in 15th Platoon D Coy, and transferred to hospital 11 November 1916.

He wrote several letters to the Hull Daily Mail.

That is if this is the one that survived.

Regards Charles

Hi Doctord

We are taking some students to Ypres in 3 weeks time. If you have any more entries you were willing to share it would be great to print them off and take them with us to read. Do you know where in the trenches he was?

Charles

This particular Charles Johnson lived at Lockwood Street in Hull. He sadly got killed in 1917 -the diary only runs April to December 1916.

Dave

All of the entries so far have been in the area south of Ypres. Don't think they will necessarily be detailed enough to identify down to particular trenches, but I'm no expert on Ypres or trench maps, so hopefully when I can put the whole thing up (I've got to check back with the owner that he's ok with this), then you'll see and can hopefully enlighten me further. Any background on the activities of his unit would be very useful for the forthcoming display (June-July)

cheers

Dave

Hi,

Yes I Have him, originally 4th Bn transferred to Regular forces 8th Bn 17 Jan 1917, If the family are happy I have the War Diary. This will help the lads at Brigg.

Regards Charles

If I get a quiet couple of days !!? Then I MAY be able to get it finished this week. :poppy:

Charles

Several entries in early June for "Lauturay wood" (or at least that's what it looks like). Any suggestions?

thanks

David

Or even "Sanctuary wood" perhaps?

Hi,

I have them June 1916 at Map 28.N.34 and M.29 Locre (Loker) and Kemmel.

About 8000x South West of Sanctuary Wood, so well within reach.

Badly gassed 17 June 1916.

Sanctuary Wood Museum and Hooge Crater Museum not far away, Lt Gilbert Talbot (Talbot House) is buried in Sanctuary Wood Cemetery his body was recovered by men of the 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment, his father the Bishop wrote personal letters to the men involved and sent many cigarettes as a thank you

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles

Yes I'd got "Sanctuary" after a second look and then found it on the map - the writing is inevitably in pencil and fairly hard to read - fun challenge though! I don't want to release it until I'm confident of the quality. I found the same problem with some ERY diaries - the spelling of local place names is inevitably rather phoenetic and you have to translate them by a combination of maps and looking at letter forms.

Locre is "Loker" in the diary.

David

Charles

This particular Charles Johnson lived at Lockwood Street in Hull. He sadly got killed in 1917 -the diary only runs April to December 1916.

Love it, My Granddad George Lockwood who served in the 1st East Yorks came from Hull and theres a Street called Lockwood, Spooky or what :lol:

Transcript generally going well, up to mid September now. One entry does have me slightly scratching my head - See image attached for September 21st entry. Three words on last line that look like "full walk comm" but clearly are not! Any suggestions anyone?

thanks

David

I'll try again!

post-96627-0-91505300-1391515594_thumb.j

Frith Walk Corner?? probably trench name

Hi,

Taking their position from the war diary, its 'Leith Walk Communication trench' 57d SE (Ovillers) X.13.a. The battalion was formed up on Quadrangle Trench X23a.b. 24a.

Not sure on the last word though.

Regards Charles

think it's 6pm

Thanks both! Leith Walk Comm it is then. Charles, I'll probably be finished in the next couple of days, so if you want to PM me your e-mail address I can send over the transcript and we'll see what else can be added from the war diary. The overall impression given by the writer is mostly a daily repititive slog of trench digging, putting up wire and bringing up rations, with occasional bursts of action. Lots of weather references - mostly raining. He also took part in an inspection by the King, which is quite interesting. Very meticulous about times, which could be very helpful.

David :thumbsup:

Transcript basically ready to put on our website. One query that someone may be able to help with. There are a couple of references to "sausages" coming over, clearly in the context of shellfire. Would this be a jokey trench term for German mortar bombs or the like?

Great work, thanks. I was struck by the frequent changes from being shelled and shot at, to rest and divine service. Also the number of times he seems to have escaped death, such as being buried up to his neck.

The link above didn't work for me. Hopefully this may do the job.

http://www.museums.eastriding.gov.uk/ww1-commemorations/ww1-resources/

Glad you found it interesting! Strangely the original link seemed to work ok me for work, but doesn't on my home laptop. Maybe the different operating system? Yours seems fine though.

I'm starting a transcript of a Yeomanry officer's diary next. The contrast with the diary of the Ypres soldier is very striking, albeit they've not got into action yet. The officer gets to shoot duck, go riding and head off to Cairo for dinner whilst the regiment is still near the Suez canal. About the best thing that happens to Private Johnson is when he gets some cigarettes and a couple of apples. What struck me most was the amount of digging they did virtually every single day - an unimaginably tough experience, before you take into account the almost constant shelling and the relentlessly bad weather. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a diary for the 1916 to conitnue the story.