Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WFA's 'Mapping the Front'

Townsend

I've hit of a brick wall on this one. Hoping someone might have a few ideas.

I recently contacted the WFA with regard to identifying sources of the maps used on the 2CD set of maps and photos of the 57C&D regions.
In particular I was trying to ascertain any information there might be for map image 27576 on Disc 2. This is a heavily annotated in crayon
plan of an 'Advance from Adinfer to Mory' Aug1918'.
Although they were unable to provide the information themselves, Howard Anderson there kindly provided me with the accession number for the item, and suggested that I contact the IWM directly. The accession reference being M27576. Unfortunately, that reference doesn't mean anything to the IWM, and I was told that maps can come from a variety of sources; Official, unofficial, personal etc etc. I can appreciate that fact, but having had limited experience of scholarly research myself, I find it hard to believe that there isn't somewhere a meticulous account of these sources, together probably, with dates of acquisition etc. Does anyone have any knowledge of the actual practices and procedures involved?
thanks for you time.
Dave Townsend

I've hit of a brick wall on this one. Hoping someone might have a few ideas.

I recently contacted the WFA with regard to identifying sources of the maps used on the 2CD set of maps and photos of the 57C&D regions.

In particular I was trying to ascertain any information there might be for map image 27576 on Disc 2. This is a heavily annotated in crayon

plan of an 'Advance from Adinfer to Mory' Aug1918'.

Although they were unable to provide the information themselves, Howard Anderson there kindly provided me with the accession number for the item, and suggested that I contact the IWM directly. The accession reference being M27576. Unfortunately, that reference doesn't mean anything to the IWM, and I was told that maps can come from a variety of sources; Official, unofficial, personal etc etc. I can appreciate that fact, but having had limited experience of scholarly research myself, I find it hard to believe that there isn't somewhere a meticulous account of these sources, together probably, with dates of acquisition etc. Does anyone have any knowledge of the actual practices and procedures involved?

thanks for you time.

Dave Townsend

Your image reference for the disc was almost but not quite correct (M_027576). If this is the map you are interested in then it is: 'Parts of 51C S.E., 51B S.W., 57D N.E., 57C N.W.' 'AYETTE Edition 2C'

Also, your image reference for the IWM if you just used the m27576 is also incorrect (see below) if you decide to approach the IWM again the following information might be of use to you:

' The map or photograph filename relates directly to the Accession Number used at the Imperial War Museum to catalogue their collection. Considering the many thousands of articles catalogued, a system that uses two numbers for the same item would become confusing and hard to manage. The advantage of using the Accession Number as a filename is that a visit to the museum to see the original item will be made easier. A filename of M_83_000276.jpg refers exclusively to item M.83/276 and the staff will be to identify the exact item very easily using this number.'

Hope this helps

Thanks so much Seaforths,

You might have thought that IWM would recognise the close approximation to a recognisable format, but I guess they have a lot to sift through, and a quick computer check will (as we know) yield, unforgivably, ziltch.

I've now phoned again and had a much more helpful response. I've been asked to submit a query to 'Collections' via e-mail. I'll post their response in due course.

As a matter of interest and for what it's worth; This particular map is annoted coincidently with the precise route that my grandfather took on the day of his demise in Aug 1918. It would be marvellous, (if perhaps highly improbable) to be able to locate the source of this crude and poignant crayon doodle that was to be so pivotal in the lives of his family.

thanks again

Perhaps the IWM will have something on their map files that might give the original origins of the map. Checking the Brigade and Divisional diaries can sometimes yield a treasure trove of maps and of course you must check the months before/after in case they have been filed there. You may also find similarly annotated maps with those. There are maps at Kew that can be viewed upstairs on the second floor. I believe some of these were removed from the diaries. I have a feeling, as you said, the 'Mapping the Front' DVDs were a project that might have included maps from a variety of sources. The WFA gave the impression they were going to produce more maps, which, had they done so would have been beneficial to me but apparently there wasn't the uptake they expected on the ones they did produce so they hadn't any plans to produce the others - I was naturally disappointed to hear that and hope in the future they will change their mind.