Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial Restoration and Re-dedication

yorksburnett

Hello

I have been very active on the GWF lately and have received invaluable help on a variety of topics. The keen eyed observer might well be wondering what I'm up to and I thought this section was perhaps the best place to post an explanation.

I'm researching the World War 1 service records of the 19 men who lost their lives and who are named on the war memorial inside the former boy's grammar school in Penzance, on behalf of the "Old Penwithians Association" (former pupils and staff). The association has recently funded the restoration of the war memorial and a re-dedication ceremony is planned for the Centenary of the outbreak of the war in 1914. I am producing mini-biographies of the 19 men to form part of a display at the ceremony. The association is a charitable organisation and I am not a professional researcher; I'm bearing almost all of the costs of the research myself (I am a member of the association).

Hence my posts on a variety of topics and, if the experience of the first five men I've researched is anything to go by, there will be a few more!

Thanks to all who have already helped and thanks in anticipation to those yet to have their brains picked and patience tried.

Bill Burnett

Penzance, Cornwall

[AKA Penzance Bill]

Well done Bill :thumbsup:. My local war memorial is soon to receive some restoration work due to funding sourced by Havering council from Veolia (some taxation fiddle no doubt) but sadly nothing is being done to commemorate the 80 missing names which we have found, from both world wars. I have also written bio's for the 180 indivuals on the memorial, including all the non-commemorated WW1 men. I have also managed to source photographs of all their graves/memorials to add to the bio's, something which you may want consider if you have not already done so. Keep us updated when all is revealed.

Give yourself a pat on the back.

Regards,

Sean.

Thank you Andrew and Sean for your encouragement.

I've already done mini biographies for all the men named on the 1st World War Memorial in my own parish, Ludgvan near Penzance, 40 names in all. With the 19 I'm currently researching that will make 59. I thought I was doing well - but 180 biographies Sean, now that's dedication!!

Bill

Post a photograph of the memorial please, Bill.

OK John

Photo of the Old Penwithians War Memorial attached to this message.

The memorial was originally funded by public subscription and is made up of five panels, six columns and an ornate frieze. It was carved in oak by a local craftsman, Mr Pezzack of Newlyn, and is thought to have cost £230. The memorial was erected in the hall of the Penzance County School for Boys in Penzance by Mr Pezzack and a local builder, Mr F Berriman, and was unveiled and dedicated by Capt. C. E. Venning, the mayor of Penzance on 17 December 1919. A total of 214 names are recorded, including 19 who died whose names are etched into brass plates. The school later changed its name to Humphry Davy Grammar School and today is Humphry Davy School (Comprehensive). The restoration work is not quite finished - the frieze is still to do.

Bill

post-60839-0-76624700-1390587360_thumb.j