The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

No luck with grandad

robdickers

I've looked over & over on Ancestry,The NA, etc for anything on my( Mat) Grandfather's sevice, but can't find a thing.

Any help would be great thanks.

William Richard Hicks. Bn1891. Heston Middx.Lived, Isleworth / Brentford Middx

Best

Rob

Have you tried Absent Voters Lists for war years or Electoral rolls, both, I think on Ancestry. How sure are you that he served?

Just a few from NA medal Card Index

All listed as William R Hicks

Royal Sussex Reg No 8865

and RE no 248691

ASC no DMZ/16746

ASC no M2/ 079507

RE no 27654

London Reg no 2178

East Surrey Reg no 24098

Rob, as johnboy shows, there are several possibles....

Is there NOTHING more you can provide, no photos, no family stories, medals, souvenirs, children born during WW1 etc etc?

Do you know that he did serve, perhaps he was in a reserved occupation of physically unfit, which is why you can't find anything.

Do you know what occupation he had, as that might indicate where he might have served, we don't even know if it was Army, could be Navy (Royal or Mercantile)

Failing that, what about the local newspaper archives and/or library?

Ealing has a terrific chap in charge of their local history section and could probably cover your" target" area

Usually someone in the family has a box of "old bits" that may just have the clues we need to break your log jam.

I have a note of a Frederick Hicks b about 1899 at 138 Windmill Road in Brentford, could that be a relative?

His occupation shown on census is given as 'assisting horsekeeper'.Possible ASC?

I cannot find a trace of him nor his family on the 1911 census, 1901 yes. What name (silly question) does he appear under Johnboy in 1911, you appear to have found him and his occupation. Ralph.

Sorry Ralph it may have been 1901.

The address was confirmed by OP.

He was also shown as a boarder at the address.

Ralph,

1911 Census on Ancestry. Search William Hicks Residence/ lived in Isleworth Mddx and it is 3rd entry down.

I think the OP should have stuck with one thread.

Many thanks lads for all your time & help,

there's a few lines to follow up & i'am going to revist some old ground.

He died in 1963 & all i have is the pic posted in my other threads, so i know he was army & possibly wounded, thats all i have i'am afraid & there's no family left now to ask.

Cheers

Rob