Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex military service appeal tribunal 1916-1918 available

Sepoy

Thanks, Sepoy

To the best of my knowledge the Middlesex and (if memory recalls) one of the Scottish tribunal records (Lothian?) are the only ones to exist at the National Archives, though specific details of the operation of, and composition of, County Tribunals are readily-available by accessing the relevant County Record Office archives in one's area of interest; a number of good locally-based historical journal articles have also been published on the operation of Tribunals, if interested i'll em out and post the links

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I was told, by GWF member James Daly who works in the local Archives, that Portsmouth City Council has a full set of tribunal records that were found in a dusty corner. I am not clear whether they have yet been catalogued but they clearly offer some interesting material for those with a Pompey interest.

Keith

• 2 months later...

I was told, by GWF member James Daly who works in the local Archives, that Portsmouth City Council has a full set of tribunal records that were found in a dusty corner. I am not clear whether they have yet been catalogued but they clearly offer some interesting material for those with a Pompey interest.

Keith

"A full set of tribunal records" is an ambiguous phrase. Theoretically, it could mean the papers of all the cases dealt with by Portsmouth Tribunal, or it could mean the Tribunal minute books and some related papers, such as exist in many local archives and were never subject to the destruction order of 1921. Some clarification would be helpful.

• spof changed the title to Middlesex military service appeal tribunal 1916-1918 available