The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Last Words for Edward Thomas by Giles Watson

MichaelBully

Greetings

A Facebook buddy turned me on to this anthology of poems dedicated to Edward Thomas-read out by the author via this link here: Very Compelling indeed.

" The poems in this book are intended as a tribute to one of the most accomplished prose-stylists of the early twentieth century – and one of its subtlest and most original poets. Some may be read in the voice of Thomas himself; others range more widely – but all make partial use of Thomas’s own words (printed in italics). I offer them as little tributes to his genius, and as attempts to express some of the beauty that might-have-been. "

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/314057/29733265

Thank you Michael. We have corresponded before on Thomas and I always value your steers on poetry. This looks a good 'un.

I went to the same College as Thomas so he has always had a particular place in my affections.

David

As I mentioned In a previous post I am involved in a project to erect a plaque on the site of the old Trowbridge Barracks in the Summer which will mention Thomas. I also plan if others agree to have one of my Cadets read 'Lights Out' which was written on the Site.

I will post the date when firmed up. Not 100% definite to happen yet but very likely.

I've listened with much admiration to Giles Watson reading.

Michael, you mentioned that some parts (Thomas's own words) are in italics. Where can they be read?

All the best,

Fred

On my computer Giles Watson's reading stops at 14.29, whereas the whole reading is supposed to go on for more time.

Ia this correct or is there something wrong with my PC ?

Fred

Greetings Fred and good to hear from you.

Giles Watson has been in touch via Facebook.

With regard to the video stopping before the full 20 minutes/ 40 seconds. There is a complete version on You Tube

With regard to the italics- this refers to the pint version

Hi Michael, Yes, 'Last Words' is available as a little illustrated print-on-demand book here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/giles-watson/last-words-for-edward-thomas/paperback/product-21328990.html

Michael,

Yes, I've tried the YouTube version and it doesn't stop before the full 20 minutes 40 are over.

I've copied part of what I heard and I will read that at Thomas's grave when the Dutch WFA visits Arras in May. I've no time to order the little book as our booklet for the tour has to be finished in a few weeks time.

Amazing how well Giles enters into the spirit of the diary entries.

Cheers,

Fred

Hello all,

It is very heartening to see the positive responses to my poems here - thank you, It is good to hear that some poems will be read at Edward Thomas's grave again. If you need to make copies of the poems and don't have time to order the book, you can always cut and paste them into Word from here:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/314057/album/587217

Just click on each image to see the poem beneath it. I don't mind copies of the poems being distributed provided they still have my name on them!

Best wishes,

Giles

Glad that you have joined the GWF Giles ! It's worth doing a search for 'Edward Thomas' especially on the 'Culture' section of the GWF to see what other threads appear.

I began to read Thomas'poems and started looking at his life after seeing the Nick Dear play 'The Dark Earth and the Light Sky' just over a year ago.

I really hope that the play will see a new production soon.

Regards

Michael

Thank you, Michael - I will certainly be searching for Edward Thomas on here, as well as looking for material on the mining of Messines Ridge, specifically the Spanbroekmolen mine - and on dressing stations and casualty clearing stations - for a short novel I am currently researching! In fact, I was hoping to post a request for information on those things, but wasn't sure which section was the best place to put it! Edward Thomas has been an abiding favourite of mine for a long time now. His prose work on 'The South Country' thrills me just as much as his poetry, and of course, Hollis's book is an excellent lesson in how literary biography should be done! I haven't seen or read Nick Dear's play - something else for me to look forward to!

Best wishes,

Giles

Thanks, Giles,, I will use soem of your poems for the excursion booklet and welcome to the Forum !

Hope to read more of your future postings and to see more of your wonderful photographs.

All the best,

Fred